Hornworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
How frequent can the "occasional" hornworm treat be?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When I have them I usually just try to feed them off before they die.
If they are large, they only will get 1 a day. If smaller, 2 or 3.

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mine were relatively small when I got them but they tripled if not more in size in 3-4 days. I got them just in case my crickets had issues during the lockdown as a hornworm almost fills up my girl for first meal. Since the crickets ended up having issues, she's getting 1-2 hornworms per day spread out.

She still gets crickets but not as many. I just wasnt sure if it was safe to feed hornworms daily.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It will give them runny stools - its because the are a hydrating worm -- I feed mine every day too so they dont die off and yes they get really big -- but I also only order in small amounts like 12 or so at a time - I feed my young one the smaller ones and my older one the bigger ones -- you might want to add dubia roaches to the diet and as a staple feeder they last longer -- you can also add super worms or meal worms butter worms to the diet -- it will help filling them up dubias are real filling as well - also silk worms are a good staple feeder --- let me know if you need some websites I can post
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Some websites would certainly be helpful. Each of my regulars as well as local stores havent had dubias for a long time. She's gotten to eat dubias for maybe 3 weeks since I started using them several months ago. I got a 12 count with the intention of feeding 1 per day but theyll likely be too big for her without cutting here soon.

Her undoubted favorite is superworms. Its the one thing I can count on her eating when she decides to be fussy about her food. That being said she doesnt get them often.

Unfortunately, hornworms are extraordinarily expensive at the local stores. Dubias and crickets locally are roughly the same price as I get online, but hornworms cost $3/ea. I think the 12 count I just got was only $7.

EDIT: the reason that's relevant is snow belt winter temperatures.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can order from here www.dubiaroaches.com they have hornworms -- butter worms --- super worms -- and others --- they are good and fast - they are out of Kansas -- all different size roaches -- also you can get silk worms from here http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ last I looked they only small so you may haft to grow them out for a little while - please order food you will need to feed them -- you can also order them from here https://reptilianarts.com/ you can order them w/ food in the cup and they are bigger - I got an order from each place ---
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alright, thanks! She'll start getting more dubias/hornworms as a primary diet, with greens of course. I want to cut back on crickets due to cricket care. I need to measure her again, I know she can eat 1/2" crickets fine although not much larger, but Im not sure about dubias.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look at the chart dubiaroaches has and go from there --- I would order her some butter worms they are a good treat as well --- nice and soft --- and dragons love silk worms too
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom