T5 distance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basia

Hi :D
Is the recommended distance of 10-12 inch from the bulb to dragon assuming that a light fixture with a reflector is being used? I wonder if that matters....anyone knows?
We have a 40 gal tank and we wanted to instal the T5 bulb inside (mainly to lower the cost of the fixture) Our dragon fav baskin spot would only be 10 in away from the bulb and we can't move it any further.
Thoughts/comments?
Thank you for your help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For a T5 the recommendation is actually 12-15 inches away :)
And yes, that is assuming you are using a suitable reflector.
Since a decent reflector about doubles the UV, you would cut the distance in half if you weren't using one.

For instance, without a reflector, you'd want your bulb to be 6-8 inches away from the basking site unobstructed to provide the same UVI level that you would get at 12-15 with a reflector.

And, if you were to mount it on a screen, you'd need to be about 30% closer also.

Does he have other areas where he is a bit further away that he can bask at? 10 inches with a reflector would probably be ok. It's a little closer than ideal, but if he can also pick other areas to bask that are a bit further, he would be able to self regulate.

But, you must make sure he has an escape from the harsh rays too in the rest of his tank. If the bulb is only 15 inches away from his floor even on the cool side, that's really just too close.

-Brandon

-Brandon

Basia

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your quick response. I had a feeling that the lack of a reflector in the lamp fixture would actually create a wider safe zone.
And yes, he can actually and does sometimes sit lower than his fav top of the branch spot. We have a 150w bulb for his baskin spot and he still climbs all the way to the top. I guess that is what he needs :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom