Possible respiratory infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfxfire

I posted on here a few months back when I had taken my beardie to the vet because he was breathing weird. The vet I saw then prescribed 2 weeks of antibiotic injections which were completed months ago. he got better way more alert but we didn't have the chance to go back in for a recheck so I'm a little worried that maybe the ri never fully resolved...
Just recently I started to feel like his breathing is heavy again and today he did a couple weird hard swallows/gulps... maybe I'm overthinking it ( he was stressed out when he did it I put his harness on him for the 3rd time ever trying to get him used to it so I can take him outside for some sun. he was black bearding and glareing at me..do they swallow hard/ gulp when they are stressed? It wasn't a beard stretch I've seen those before lol) he has been eating good pooping daily (sometimes it's a little watery) he's never been treated for parasites is that something that should be done regularly? or only if they have symptoms? can I buy parasite treatment or is it vet prescribed only? I prefer dubias but I have had to feed crickets because that's what's available during this pandemic and I have heard they carry parasites.. anyway money is tight because my work is closed untill further notice because of covid-19. is there something I can do for him at home? I have reptaid in my fridge leftover from a few months ago I don't know if it's still good or if I should toss it and i also have f10sc and a reptile fogger but I've been to scared to try nebulization.. I've looked online for tylosin 50 but I can't find it. I'm going to call some vets tomorrow to see if they are open and to check how much an exam is since I wasn't super happy with the last vet I saw but any advice/input is much appreciated thank you for reading :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon seems to be having some trouble. It seems like a lot of them are
having respiratory problems.
Which antibiotic has he been on previously?
Nebulization is a really good way to help with respiratory problems. I can help with any
dosing if you need, if you decide to do nebulization.
You can try looking at Tractor Supply, or Agmart, etc to see if maybe they have Tylan50
possibly.
As long as you keep the crickets clean, he shouldn't have any problems with parasites.
They can swallow hard or beard a lot if they are stressed yes.
As far as the Reptaid, it could still be good. Did it have an expiration date on it?
Do you have any pictures of him, along with the tank setup you could post?

Tracie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
Hi thanks for replying so Jan 1st we started one injection of cefazolin daily for 14 days and he did improve a lot.
I don't think I can get tylan 50 in California without a prescription :( I've heard people nebulize the f10sc for respritory infections but I've been to scared to try it do you know anything about useing the f10sc for respiratory infections?
The reptaid says use by 2023 and he seems to like it I don't know how much he weighs I can't seem to find my food scale.
I took some pictures but I don't know how to upload them to my post

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
106944-1384706772.jpg
106944-7573722019.jpg
106944-9422577987.jpg
Yay it worked!! Thank you!
I've got the Arcadia t5 on top of screen as well as
A 100 watt basking (left) thinking of going to 150 watt
And a 100 watt ceramic (right) also thinking of switching to the 150 watt since nights are getting colder

I have the 2 thermometer hydrometers that came with the tank but I don't think they are very accurate and I have the temp gun and like 4 other thermometer/hydrometers that I compare they all seem to have different reading lol
His basking spot right now is at 101°f

Earlier his basking spot
Was at 99°f (temp gun, probe, and regular thermometer) and the probe read 24% humidity but the stick on the tank humidity reading was at 55% and 100°f and it's only a few inches from the probe..
For the cool side the one I have on his log was reading at 78°f and 51% humidity
And the stick on the wall one that's up towards the screen was reading 80°f and 75%
The two metal canisters have non toxic silica gel to lower the humidity
I've thought about removeing his water but I only ever put a little water in the dish.. I've only seen him use it once when he was a baby tho

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You don't need to worry about humidity unless it gets 70% or higher
Karrie

Wolfxfire

Original Poster
Thank you are these ones accurate when it comes to humidity? They aren't too different than my other thermometers when it comes to the temperature but the humidity reading on these is usually way higher than the probe and the digital readings

106944-6554922843.jpg
ese accurate with humidity

SPandS

Juvie Member
Those can be very inaccurate but they can be easy to test, you can even test your other ones too. It's been awhile since I've done it but look up how to calibrate a hygrometer. If I recall correctly you only need some salt, a little water, a bottle cap and an air right container. You probably can't calibrate that but you'll get an idea of how off that one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom