Just upgraded to 75-gallon tank - need lighting advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lalap1

Right now in our 40-gallon tank we have a 100-watt mercury vapor bulb (MVB) in a dome fixture as well as a ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5HO tube light (22” long). Can we make these work in a 75-gallon tank? If not will we need to get rid of these fixtures and get new or maybe just change out wattage? Would love to be able to reuse or add to what we have but understand if it just won’t work. Thanks in advance.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure about the MVB someone else would haft to weigh in on the wattage--- I am guessing tho you may haft to increase it - the T 5 is a nice compliment to the MVB --- what type of screen do you have on the top of tank or are you putting the T 5 inside the tank?
Karrie

Lalap1

Original Poster
They’re both on top because we couldn’t figure out a way to mount inside - but we cut holes in the screen to allow the heat and uvb to get through (know that’s weird but it’s worked so far). Am hoping to figure out another way with new tank but not sure how. It’s a pain dealing with hinged lid and lights on top.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The new tank has open doors from front? The T 5 should be 12-15 inches from basking decor w/ it having no screen to block the rays -- the T 5 can be hung w/ long plastic zip ties --- 3M velcro fasteners -- shoe laces-- picture wire hangers--- fishing line etc...........
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Lalap1":1c2q0dtt said:
Right now in our 40-gallon tank we have a 100-watt mercury vapor bulb (MVB) in a dome fixture as well as a ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5HO tube light (22” long). Can we make these work in a 75-gallon tank? If not will we need to get rid of these fixtures and get new or maybe just change out wattage? Would love to be able to reuse or add to what we have but understand if it just won’t work. Thanks in advance.
In my 75 gallon carolina custom cage I have a 24 inch t5 ho fixture which is 24 watt and 6200k full spectrum with 2232 lumens and a 150 watt reptisun basking bulb in a 150 zoomed deep dome fixture.The bulbs for the t5 is reptisun 10.0 and my t8 is also reptisun 10.0. I have a t8 48inch across the back so it isnt dark in the cage and over a screen the t8 doesn't emit much also replaced the t8 fixtures ballast to a automatic starter one as I recommend to anyone who uses a t8 so it doesn't flicker . I measure my uvb daily, I get around 12% uvb in my intense bask spot and on cool side little to none I have a uvb meter comes in handy so I can measure the uvb and a tempature gun to measure heat.Whenever I get some extra cash I'll take out the t8 and put a Jungle Dawn led bar on the coolside. Shouldnt need to expose the screen where it lays if it's a MVB since it's so powerful and same goes with the t5 only t8's should be exposed unfiltered unless the t5 is a great distance away aswell as mvb. With the mvb I'd use a uvb meter as you never know the output really as it emits most of the light spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom