Need Help With Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

alieeni

Original Poster
Ah, okay that makes sense. I mean with superworms I can just dust them in calcium and it gets the same effect, right? I'm going to order the dubia roaches though. Thank you so much! :)

alieeni

Original Poster
Hello. I put off posting this update mainly because I've been pretty busy, but I figured you two deserved an update for helping me out, and if anyone else ended up scavenging the web like I did this'd help out some.

Sunny passed away on March 26th, at around 3:00 p.m. We don't know the exact cause, and all the vet offices around us are currently closed so we've been told it was likely shock and stroke, or even a sort of heart attack. Given her state, it was very likely. We won't be examining further.

Sunny was my first beardie, a rescue at that, and honestly, we weren't even sure if she was going to make it, but she enjoyed her last few days thoroughly, enjoying daily meals of baby food and superworms, until she was nice and plump. She took daily baths, something she was lucky to get even monthly where she came from, and experienced real sunlight! I took her on walks with me, she'd lay on my chest, and she enjoyed the sun every chance we got. At night, she slept nice and warm under her lights, which ended up reaching 95 degrees.

PZGkWfX.jpg

Here's her in her tank, for some reason she really liked laying on that rock :eek:

She gained strength and started opening her eyes, occasionally hunting her own food, biting me during feedings, and stopped toppling over and actually started trying to walk around! She was gaining weight, and on the day she passed, she was doing amazingly well, very interactive, and enjoyed a nice warm bath and two hours in the sun :)

Once I took her in from the sun, I set her in her tank comfortably and went on about my day, and about 2 hours later, I went to check on her, and she had defacated, and was lying on her rock flat on her stomach, no longer propped up, with a dark black beard, and limp. Her eyes were closed, and I figured maybe she'd hurt herself somehow, so I gave her a little bit of baby food and water, and she took to it eagerly.

I sat her out on the grass in the sun hoping she'd gain some strength and get back to her normal self, and she calmly laid there, until a few 10 minutes later, she opened her eyes, turned her head up, and took her last breaths. I didn't realize this until later on, but I'm just happy she spent those moments with someone else, and not alone.

I suspect she had MBD, possibly severe, her legs never started working right, and she had horrible difficulty moving around, even functioning properly. She spent her days laying down on her rock, occasionally crawling over to the cool end, if she could muster enough force.

However, even though she didn't make it, I'm glad this community helped me give her much needed love and comfort during her last moments, and I was able to lay her to rest knowing she felt love and warmth, and slept every night safe and with a full tummy. She deserved that, and so much more, and now she's probably waddling over to a big ol' plate of mealworms and going to town. :)

Thank you two so much. I really appreciate the help. I know Sunny did too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom