Baby beardie lethargic and eye squinting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearpaws

We have had our beardie Kali for almost 2 weeks now. She has been eating well, friendly, active, etc. She's been doing great! She is about 3 months old. Yesterday her tail started to shed. She has also not been eating many veggies, but loves her bugs.

Today when I got home from work she seemed not herself. Lethargic and just... not active. Not interested in food either. The other thing is her eyes seem to be squinted slightly, even though she moved herself to the cool side and is not under any lights right now. She almost looked like she was falling asleep. Her lights go out at 7 and it was 6:30 at that time. I dripped water on her head like I usually do at night and she didn't drink any of it.

The only other thing I can think of is that my fiance gave her a hornworm as a treat that was too big for her.

Her setup:
-thermometers with probes
-I ordered a temp gun, but it is not here yet. Shipping was delayed in my area due to coronavirus.
-basking side is 108.
-cool side is 78
-humidity is 30%
-uvb is a reptisun 10.0 T5. It is in a hood on top of the mesh and it is within 8 inches of the highest point of her basking spot. It's a 22inch bulb in a 36 inch long tank.
-we feed dubia roaches- small ones
-we offer her bok choy, mustard greens, collards, and squash. She only wants a leaf or two of boy choy usually.

Zbaby42

Even tho the hornworm was a little too big it should be fine they are easy to digest. It would be different if it was a mealworm or anything with a hard shell that is to big for her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 is inside the tank or on top of screen ? And the screen is it wide holed or fine screen like a screen door? The screen plays a part in distance for bulb that is why I am asking-- can you post a pic of her? https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pit it should post --- I can help w/ getting her to eat her veggies but we need to see if the UVB is causing the eye issues --- I am thinking its too close ---
Karrie

Bearpaws

Original Poster
KarrieRee":21bi8mby said:
The T 5 is inside the tank or on top of screen ? And the screen is it wide holed or fine screen like a screen door? The screen plays a part in distance for bulb that is why I am asking-- can you post a pic of her? https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pit it should post --- I can help w/ getting her to eat her veggies but we need to see if the UVB is causing the eye issues --- I am thinking its too close ---
Karrie

The t5 is on top of the screen. The screen is fine mesh. But it's about half an inch above the screen- it's an exo terra top and there are plastic bars across the top, which elevates the fixture slightly. I will try to upload a pic of her

Bearpaws

Original Poster
107560-1022147304.jpg
Here she is right before I shut her lights off. She's currently sleeping. Her eye just looks kinda small and squinty (I didn't use any flash to take the pic or anything).

This is our first beardie so I'm probably overly worried.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Fine screen mesh you want the UVB approx 6-8 inches from her basking decor -- it sounds like its there -- so lets see her and go from there --- she will go thru relocation stress so she will slow down on her eating but she should not completely stop --- so the basking temp sounds good as well --- is she eating? Or has she stopped eating all together --- ? They squint when they are dosing -- that is normal -- behavior-- her eyes look normal -- as she gets used to the surroundings her eating will pick up and you have her on a good diet --- :) -- if you have trouble getting her to eat her veggies order some super worms medium -- some butter worms -- and add them to the salad first thing in the morning before her dubias ---the movement will entice her to the bowl --- use like 1-3 worms also I would get some BSFL as well and add them to the salad they are a good staple feeder too and you dont need to dust them --- use as many as you want -- add those worms in front of her so sees you doing this ---
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.symtonbsf.com
Karrie

Bearpaws

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice and info!

KarrieRee":34r52ixq said:
- is she eating? Or has she stopped eating all together --- ?
Her eating has slowed down the last two days, but she has been eating. She did not eat her dinner, though.

Are BSFL also called nutrigrubs? We do have a cup of them we have been giving as treats when we handle her. I will definitely try putting them in the salad tomorrow morning!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes nutir grubs calci and Phoenix worms are all the same-- as long as she is eating pooping and basking and staying hydrated - which you can wash or rinse the greens before serving will give her the moisture she needs along w/ gutloading your insects-- her poop will tell you if she's hydrated
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom