Sparkles growth progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBeck

Sparkle? Yes, Sparkle. Actually, Super Sparkle.
Grand baby visited last night and I promised her she could name the Baby Dragon. She was VERY excited about the whole thing. When your Grand baby wants to be involved, and they are excited, you let them pick whatever name they want..lol. With a friends help, I did the flashlight sexing procedure. I am about 90% sure it's a girl. If I end up being wrong, we will be going with her boy name, King Benjamin at a later date.
That said, I will do weekly (Give or take) updates, but without an age, as the pet store didn't know, and I will only want to give exact information. Please feel free to ask a question or by all means offer ANY advice you might have. Thanks!

The set up;
40gal breeder
screen top
24" fluorescent 10.0 bulb in the tank
150w bulb for basking

1st day home
2/14/2020 8" 25g
2/23/2020 8.5" 31g weighed about 2hrs after breakfast
2/28/2020 9.25 33g weighed before dinner
3/7/2020 10 43g weighed after dinner. Starting shed on tail and possibly legs
3/13/2020 10.5 54g weighed after dinner. Shed on tail and legs progressing
3/20/2020 11 58g weighed before dinner. Shed on tail & legs done. Head shed quickly
after,with a small piece left around her nose mouth area. I guess she hit a
little bit of a plateau this week.
3/27/2020 11.75 68g weighed after dinner.
4/3/2020 12.5 82g weighed after dinner. Started another body/head shed about 3 days ago.
4/10/2020 13.25 94g weighed before dinner. Body shed complete 4/11
4/17/2020 Forgot to weigh in.
4/24/2020 120g Before weigh in. About 13.75" Seems to have hit a little slow down. Started tail,
legs shed.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I think Super Sparkle works for either sex. :wink:
Just as my ZaRDoZ is actually, MIGHTY ZaRDoZ, The Perpetually Pissed-Off
Stinky Demon Lizard
:roll: (No babies involved--former tabletop RPG hobbyist :D )

Sparkle should have been at least 6 weeks for the pet trade, but some breeders/stores release them sooner. After you get a feel for this (and looking at other charts) I think you could likely make a reasonably accurate guesstimate--like within or the nearest week. :wink:

Oh, right... You're the guy who surprised his wife with a dragon for Valentines Day! :laughhard:
My DW got a real charge out of that when I told her about it! :lol:

McBeck

Original Poster
Yes, yes I am. The wife has since recovered. March 2nd I will have been married 29yrs. I wake up every morning, roll over and just say, "I'm sorry". Seems to cover my day, worked so far...lol

McBeck

Original Poster
Probably update this every week for awhile, for us newbies to compare, or add to others info. Then maybe every 2 weeks, once she hits 12" or so. I'll just edit original post and bump. Can't hurt.

McBeck

Original Poster
Well, think she is progressing nicely!
She hit 43g and 10" up from 25g and 8" in just 3 weeks! Seems to like a diet of roaches, bfl, superworms and a few waxworms agrees with her. She has started to eat a tad more of her veggies as well, though the term "Less than zero" comes to mind. Oh, forgot a couple of small Hornworms, unfortunately I think the rest of them will be to big to feed her in another week...

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Yup, they start out slow, but pick up quickly. Noticed this last weighing that Z had put on (in one week) twice what he weighed when we brought him home!

Internet sources estimated growth at ~½" per week (snout to tail), and that's been pretty close to our experience.

Is pics/photographing part of your record keeping? I've taken lots of pics, but it didn't occur to me until just now that it could have been part of growth tracking... D'OH! ?

McBeck

Original Poster
I have taken pics. but I have not posted as of yet. I will post some maybe, later today and with future posts. Good idea btw.

McBeck

Original Poster
107356-4301133095.jpg
1st week image
107356-5824903669.jpg
Tonights photo, she's still shedding. She always sheds tail and legs, then body, head.
Growth coming along well.
107356-8846894097.jpg
Her aim could still use some improvement, lol.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Congratulations! It's... a dragon! (and still looks a lot like ZaRDoZ) :D
Except maybe those back feet--they're killing me.

McBeck

Original Poster
Yeah, I noticed mine looks very much like yours. I wish my photography skills would translate how beautiful she really is. I'll keep trying some different lighting.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Yup, right down to that double line of bumps down the middle of their backs. Seems to be a common "look" from what I've seen at local shows. Z is at his most colorful/striking right after shedding, but I've still not seen the whole dragon at once. :lol: I agree lighting is tough, and I stink with those photo manipulation apps. :roll:

Another week, another 1/2" and 30 grams here. :D

McBeck

Original Poster
About 3/4" and another 10grams. Tried Butter worms tonight for the 1st time. Seemed to dig'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom