Container for Supers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Anyone use an empty cat litter bucket for bugs or worms? ?
Just got 500 Supers and they won't fit in the smaller container I've been using but I know I have an empty litter bucket in the barn. I use them for various things.
I don't want to have to go to the store to buy a container.
Thoughts??
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":167pwlll said:
That should do. I used to keep them in a small tupperware tub.
Thanks hon! Tupperware type storage container is what I'm using now but it just doesn't seem big enough to add 500+ to.
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
500 would get crowded in a small container (I'm thinking shoebox sized) They'll probably be happier in the larger one. Do you have some oats or grain to fill it with?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":h7fc6z41 said:
500 would get crowded in a small container (I'm thinking shoebox sized) They'll probably be happier in the larger one. Do you have some oats or grain to fill it with?
That's what I thought. Yeah I have oats. About half a large container, plan to get more next store run. Have carrots. ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":h25qtd8g said:
Thoughts??
A couple. I'm not familiar with litter buckets, but...
Supers can--and will--eat through polypropylene.
________

Recycling/plastic code 5 (PP) = polypropylene

I reused a BSFL container to store/house supers, and they ate around existing air holes enough to escape.
105703-9523396091.jpg
RED = Large enough to crawl through__YELLOW = They're working on it

Just make sure the distance between the top of the oatmeal and the inside of the lid is further than the longest super worm. :wink: On second thought, the supers can also climb the walls; I've found them under the rim of the lid...

I also wound up putting the above container (along with other feeder containers) in a plastic (yes, polypropylene :roll: ) dishpan as an additional "security measure" to thwart escapees. :laughing6:

Not positive, but I believe Tupper® is also polypropylene. :dontknow:

I'm still using polypropylene containers (half-gallon size sherbet tubs) for storing supers because we had so many of them, and re-using still makes sense over buying something else. It's not the material that is the problem--it's the preexisting holes. :wink:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3sfa6ppf said:
DragonPete":3sfa6ppf said:
Thoughts??
A couple. I'm not familiar with litter buckets, but...
Supers can--and will--eat through polypropylene.
________

Recycling/plastic code 5 (PP) = polypropylene

I reused a BSFL container to store/house supers, and they ate around existing air holes enough to escape.
105703-9523396091.jpg
RED = Large enough to crawl through__YELLOW = They're working on it

Just make sure the distance between the top of the oatmeal and the inside of the lid is further than the longest super worm. :wink:

I also wound up putting the above container (along with other feeder containers) in a plastic (yes, polypropylene :roll: ) dishpan as an additional "security measure" to thwart escapees. :laughing6:

Not positive, but I believe Tupper® is also polypropylene. :dontknow:

I'm still using polypropylene containers for storing supers because we had so many of them, and re-using still makes sense over buying something else. It's not the material that is the problem--it's the preexisting holes. :wink:
Well shoot! Both the litter bucket and the container I'm already using are #5 recycle. But they also can't get to the lid. The buckets are maybe 2-2.5 gal? Holds like 30# of litter. Worms would be no where near the top, hadnt even planned to use a lid on the bucket because of air flow.
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What about plastic 1 gallon ice cream bucket/container with lid? Could put holes in lid I suppose? Litter bucket may be overkill.
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That might be a good size if it's the right kind of plastic. I didn't know about the #5 issue.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2fdujw53 said:
That might be a good size if it's the right kind of plastic. I didn't know about the #5 issue.
Ice cream bucket is a #3 with a #4 lid. Actually a softer plastic. I dunno. ?
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just checked the bins I used to have. They are Sterilite #5 and I didn't run into an issue. I did keep the substrate well below the lid though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Supers will chew through anything they can get their mouths around. As long as there are no areas they can actually bite at, they will be fine in any plastic container.

They only were able to chew through mrspectrums lid because of the existing holes. Without them they wouldnt have.

FWIW I use those cheap little plastic "dressers" on wheels that you can buy from walmart. Most people probably use them for socks and undies. I use them for bugs lol.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":m6h4bide said:
Supers will chew through anything they can get their mouths around. As long as there are no areas they can actually bite at, they will be fine in any plastic container.

They only were able to chew through mrspectrums lid because of the existing holes. Without them they wouldnt have.

FWIW I use those cheap little plastic "dressers" on wheels that you can buy from walmart. Most people probably use them for socks and undies. I use them for bugs lol.

-Brandon
You need 3-4 drawers for bugs with your zoo! ?
I'm thinking a couple inches of oats in the gallon ought to work yes? It's 5 in tall and 8.5 in diameter. But would that be too small for 500? These are large! Very. Maybe 4 inches of oats in the 2+ gal bucket wouldn't be overkill after all. I think I'll go back to the litter bucket and stop 2nd guessing myself. Lol! ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here's my idea. ?
Take it all into the bathroom and work in the tub. That way any I miss going into the bucket, I can catch in the tub, till I get them all.?
Brandon! You ordered from them, how do you get all the worms out? ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom