Hates Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
So Ranger has decided food is the greatest part of life and has been eating EVERYTHING under the sun. Healthy poops daily. I decided to buy him a doz crickets. He got too lazy for them so I stopped buying them. But with his newly found energy I decided to get a few. I gut loaded them and then dusted them with a calcium, mineral, and vitamin dust. I dropped one in. He ran for it. He was Soo excited! He popped it in his mouth.... And THAT F#¢*ING cricket BIT him!!!! He spit it out and ran away from the cricket. Wtf.... Now he wants NOTHING to do with them. When it comes near him he runs away.

Well.... I am now the proud owner of a doz gut loaded dusted crickets.
I guess I'll toss them to the wild lizards outside. There's a Green Anole that has been loitering around my bedroom window. I'm sure he will appreciate them.

Anyone else have a beardie that dislikes crickets??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get some dubia roaches -- they are a better feeder any way easier to take care of and last longer ---- you can order them online get a 10 gallon aquarium or tote feed them dubia food or food you feed your dragon and carrots for hydration
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
beardedlady1":tjmtce7w said:
So Ranger has decided food is the greatest part of life and has been eating EVERYTHING under the sun.
Smart lizard. It's definitely in the top three. :laughing6:

Healthy poops daily. I decided to buy him a doz crickets. He got too lazy for them so I stopped buying them. But with his newly found energy I decided to get a few. I gut loaded them and then dusted them with a calcium, mineral, and vitamin dust. I dropped one in. He ran for it. He was Soo excited! He popped it in his mouth.... And THAT F#¢*ING cricket BIT him!!!! He spit it out and ran away from the cricket. Wtf.... Now he wants NOTHING to do with them. When it comes near him he runs away.
Smart cricket. Yeah, crickets will do that (along with chirping and stinking). :laughing6: :study:

Well.... I am now the proud owner of a doz gut loaded dusted crickets.
Congratulations! :lol:

I guess I'll toss them to the wild lizards outside. There's a Green Anole that has been loitering around my bedroom window. I'm sure he will appreciate them.
He probably heard or smelled them. I kept green anoles as a kid. As a rule, they like appropriately-sized crickets. :wink:

Anyone else have a beardie that dislikes crickets??
Y'know... I've never asked him! :lol:
He's a dubia roach vacuum, and superworms are like beardie crack.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No roaches. Not happening. He's never getting them and neither am I. With my luck they will escape and I'll have roaches all over. I'd rather have lose crickets or lose supers roaming than a roach... either the sound of a lost cricket chirping at night or a giant Beetle for my cats to play with. But NOT a roach ?? ew.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2uyz1lei said:
Get some dubia roaches -- they are a better feeder any way easier to take care of and last longer ---- you can order them online get a 10 gallon aquarium or tote feed them dubia food or food you feed your dragon and carrots for hydration
Karrie
That just sounds disgusting... That will be a Hard Pass. Lol roaches in a tote ?????

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
beardedlady1":ydi549dl said:
No roaches. Not happening. He's never getting them and neither am I. With my luck they will escape and I'll have roaches all over.
IDK your location, but speaking/typing as one who has had escapes (Northeastern US), they're not like American/Canadian cockroaches. They avoid light, yes, but they are not anywhere near as fast, and cannot reproduce at North American room temperatures--they need 95°F or hotter. They typically only survive a couple/few days before dying/being eaten by a cat, dog, other...

Not trying to change your mind--there are other kinds of feeders--I just don't wish to perpetuate any misinformation.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to find some sort of staple for him -- if not the roaches the maybe silk worms-- I know I felt the same way you did at first I was like :bleick: as well but I did try them and they were so much better than the crickets --- they are nothing like the cockroach --- so if you want to try silk worms go w/ those I have a couple of websites if your interested
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
beardedlady1":2eedpq6y said:
No roaches. Not happening. He's never getting them and neither am I. With my luck they will escape and I'll have roaches all over. I'd rather have lose crickets or lose supers roaming than a roach... either the sound of a lost cricket chirping at night or a giant Beetle for my cats to play with. But NOT a roach ?? ew.
I could not have said it better!! Lmao! ? My sentiments exactly. There's plenty of other protein feeders. ?
-Dee

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2wxduqxx said:
beardedlady1":2wxduqxx said:
No roaches. Not happening. He's never getting them and neither am I. With my luck they will escape and I'll have roaches all over.
IDK your location, but speaking/typing as one who has had escapes (Northeastern US), they're not like American/Canadian cockroaches. They avoid light, yes, but they are not anywhere near as fast, and cannot reproduce at North American room temperatures--they need 95°F or hotter.

lol I live in Florida lol I live in their baby making weather lol

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":251hdkyy said:
You need to find some sort of staple for him -- if not the roaches the maybe silk worms-- I know I felt the same way you did at first I was like :bleick: as well but I did try them and they were so much better than the crickets --- they are nothing like the cockroach --- so if you want to try silk worms go w/ those I have a couple of websites if your interested
Karrie
are those like wax worms? he LOVES wax worms.. I've been on the fence about horn worms... I kinda wanna get one just to see what he thinks about them before buying a cup of them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wax worms are a fatty worm and not good to feed as a staple- you can get discoid roaches in FLA- these roaches are nothing like cockroach- if you would like a website for them I have one
Karrie

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":v7ll5vmw said:
Wax worms are a fatty worm and not good to feed as a staple- you can get discoid roaches in FLA- these roaches are nothing like cockroach- if you would like a website for them I have one
Karrie
nope... nope... I live with my mother. nope. he wont even eat Super worm beetles. once they turn to beetles they become his best friends and they die an old age. so we gotta find a staple worm...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Lol :)--- silk worms-- www.reptilianarts.com and mullberryfarms.com. Or coastilsilkworms.com-- if you order them make sure you get food for them-- mullberryfarms is out of stock I just ordered from reptilianarts and I ordered the bulk but I have containers and food
Karrie

You guys are missing out lol the Dubia roaches are awesome and they pack way more of a protein ratio. They can't fly which is a bonus and they don't stink like crickets do. Also as previously mentioned they can't survive in most conditions to reproduce and cause an issue. Oh also they can't climb over most smooth surfaces. Best switch I've ever made personally hahaha

Ziranos

Surprised that no one has mentioned black soldier fly larvae (aka. phoenix worms, repti worms, calci worms). That is definitely the feeder OP is looking for, they're very nutritious, a great staple, they don't even need to be dusted with calcium. Would be my go to if they sold them in my country!

I love feeding dubias, but OP lives in Florida, a state where dubia roaches are illegal.
My dragon doesn't seem as interested in crickets as he used to be, so I might switch over to exclusively dubias, as I too have started loathing the little cricket dirtbags. Noisy, smelly, they bite, and they will jump all over the place unless I pull of their legs, which I find disgusting, because then they'll bleed all over instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom