Is this throw up? Introduced beardie to large crickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ijahnray

We recently bought my daughter a beardie, 2 days before Christmas! He eats great, greens and squash Everyday, and crickets twice a day. Since he’s gotten much bigger, instead of buying petco medium crickets I went to a bait store and bought large crickets to feed him, because they are cheaper and we thought he’d eat less. Since then, he’s pooped regular looking poop and he also has this in his terrarium! He’s done it about 2 Times now. He’s been eating these crickets for about a week and a half! Can someone help me figure this out please? I’ve come to adore him and want to make sure he’s ok!
107723-4144098177.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Bearded dragons are capable of regurgitating/barfing, and that's actually a good thing when there's good cause/reason. That looks to me like what it is. Here's a similar pic of known beardie barf from the interweb:

6ehd4QRd6gfXfiqZfZZ2P6sQYJIN_AvEtOe1w_Kl1PQ.jpg

More importantly though, bait store insects are not raised the same as feeder insects, hence the lower cost--they may have a parasite load. As bait, it doesn't usually matter--a fish will either be tossed back or eaten sans guts.

are bait insects ok for bearded dragons

To be safe, I'd toss the bait crickets (and any other bait insects), and get feeder insects from a different pet store, or mail order. I use Reptile Deli, but there are many, many more.

insect feeders

Ijahnray

Original Poster
Thank you! I think I will go back to Petco and just but large ones there because he’s never done this! I’m thinking he eats too much lol. He is greedy! Instead of allowing him to eat as much in 5 minutes, we just give him about 12-14 medium a feeding. He’d eat more if we let him!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Ijahnray":39onkf9g said:
I’m thinking he eats too much lol. He is greedy!
Yup. :lol: In the wild, they're opportunity hunters. They never know when/where their next meal is coming from, so when an opportunity presents itself, they exploit it--it could be days (or longer) until the next meal crawls by (or they stumble into it). :laughing6:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would switch him over to dubia roaches they are a better feeder and easier to take care of and they last longer --- you can order them online keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubia food or food you feed your dragon and carrots for hydration -- they are also more filling if you need websites please ask I will post -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom