Lighting - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!! Very serious question - how do I expose the UVB bulb in the standard 40-gallon starter kit by Zoomed? It is a mesh right now so the UVB isn't directly hitting my bearded dragons, and I am wondering if that is affecting their eating patterns. Thank you,

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
It's true that improper UVB will effect eating and behavior.

The starter kit with that small UVB bulb is not enough UVB for a bearded dragon. It's sadly a dishonest practice that they put on pictures of bearded dragons and say here is your starter kit. A Reptisun T5 HO (high output of 10% UVB) with reflector that spans most of the length on top of the screen should be enough UVB. It's a lot stronger, so the 30% reduction from the mesh is countered by the strong T5 bulb, a similar T8 bulb must be under the mesh. T5 is the skinnier than the T8 and it's a newer technology bulb.

You'll also want to know that a bigger enclosure for when your dragon grows up will also be better for them to move around, exercise, be comfortable. So when you get a longer UVB tube light think about how getting a decent size can be reused later for an adequate adult sized enclosure.

reptilez12

Original Poster
107705-6660604081.jpg

which of those would be the best fit? also, I have a dual lamp system set up, would i need to put two basking lamps or just leave one side empty?

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Reptisun 10.0 are the high output ones, so far left or right.
This is the reflector hood, the reflector helps direct more UVB down into the enclosure! Sometimes it comes with a free 5.0 bulb, but that's half the output and not enough for a bearded dragon. Bearded Dragon needs high output UVB
103228-2160884915.jpg

You could leave one side of the dual empty. Each side has its own lamp cord from what I recall. So leave one side off!

I just saw your other posts. You have two dragons? They should each get their own enclosure and lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom