Still Brumating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanos has now been semi/fully brumating since mid December. He almost always stays in his hide, unless I get him out to bath him, never basks and never lies under his uvb light. He has not lost any weight since then in fact has, since December, put weight on - 180g to 210g. He will occasionally eat a couple of bugs (usually after his bath) but then goes straight back to sleep. He was pooing every 5/6 days but has not pooed now for 3 weeks. Unfortunately with the lockdown here in the UK I cannot get him to a vets. Everyone I have spoken to says he is just brumating but is it normal for it to go on for so long? He always seems to have stress marks under his chin unless he is out of the tank and in the bath or asleep.
I posted here at the end of January and everyone said brumation but it's still going on :(.
UVB T5 - 16 inches from ground, closer if on log
Basking bulb 60 w
Temps cool area 80
Hot area around 90
Basking around 105
Age - 12month approx
Weight 210g
Length 14.5 inches
Any help great fully received
Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it could be just brumation but he's on the small side so it's time for him to come out. Is his uvb bulb inside the tank or on top of screen ? How big is his enclosure and are you measuring the temps.? It seems like you'd need a higher watt bulb to heat a large enclosure. Can you post some pics of the tank , the lights and also of Thanos. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upolad them

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Okay so his uvb is on the inside of the tank and I have just installed a 100w CHE on a thermostat to keep the temperature up. We did have a heat mat before (supplied when we got him) but the night temps were dropping to around 68f - they are now staying above 70f so hoping this may help. Its night time here and all his lights are off so I'll have to post a picture tomorrow. He is in a 3ft tank at the mo but are hoping to upgrade when he wakes up! I say wakes up but he is awake during the day but just doesn't move and goes back to full sleep early afternoon :(. We really miss him, he was so active for the first 3 months we had him and he grew loads but then he just started hiding and not coming out, except occasionally :(. Thank you for your help

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Brumation can definitely last that long. Without there being any weight loss there is really nothing concerning there.

Could you post a picture of your setup? And what are you using to measure your temps?

I agree though, it's probably best to start waking him up. Just wake him up every morning and put him on his basking site. And try offering him food. He should come to soon enough as long as husbandry is ok.

-Brandon

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
106028-897055166.jpg
106028-7316771773.jpg

Here is the upload picture of our viv - Thanos is in the hide on the left hand side.
The other photo was taken on Sunday after he had had a bath and was going back into the hide to return to sleep!

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
106028-7160309809.jpg

This was him just after his bath - he looks so cute but as soon as he returns to his viv he just goes staight into his hide and sleeps all day and all night :(

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
He's still hiding?. I got him up yesterday and put him on his basking spot and braved the lockdown to get him fresh food. Came back and he was wedged up behind his plants hiding (I had taken his hide out). I got him back up and offered him a morio worm (superworm). He ate 2 and basked for a bit late on so we left lights and uvb on longer than normal. This morning he was awake and basking on the ground on the warm side early but had slept there all night so hadn't moved there. I put him on his log to bask properly but he just got down. As he still hasn't pooed I bathed him for 15 minutes and dried him off under the lamp in the living room - he seemed brighter but when offered food wasn't keen. Left more superworms in viv and he has eaten 1/2 a one, basked for maybe an hour but been hiding for the last 3 hours. Is this normal for them to do this if they have been woken up? I also weighed him this morning and he is still 213g

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes not losing weight that is good - he is basking that is good - and he is eating a little that is good -- it sounds like he is just being lazy - must be the weather mine are doing the same eating a little basking a little and pooping --- w/ as little as hes eating hes not gonna poop very much so that is to be expected -- keep an eye on him make sure hes staying hydrated baths are good - he will drink if hes thirsty---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom