Coronavirus and Dragon Prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":3m6ffb7p said:
I know wild hornworms are a no no. Shame, they loved my tomatoes last year! ?
I just don't have a worry about the dandelions and mint and yes, we are pretty rural here, been here 3 yrs. The only thing I actually use but in limited area would be fire ant poison. I'd never pick anything near that. But I will get a couple mounds each year and they are horrible. They have to be taken care of. I guess you don't have those in the NE? Be glad. It's awful in the south.?
-Dee

Surely if you give them a day or two with no food to purge , the swap them over the special hornworm chow mix and feed them that for a few days they'll loose the accumulated toxins in them . Just speculation hut might work.
Nicotine in tobacco and maybe some nitrates.
solanine ,tomatine, in tomato

Surely there's a test kit for the toxin that you do on the worms for the toxin in the tomato or tobacco leafs , if it shows no toxin , it'll be fine.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
200g of medium to large very active BSFL and a medium batch of small crickets ( 20 - 25 day old ) about 900 arrived today .
I've only just started using the latest batch of medium crickets .

So I should be fine for live insects now for months.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":397l6j3k said:
DragonPete":397l6j3k said:
I know wild hornworms are a no no. Shame, they loved my tomatoes last year! ?
I just don't have a worry about the dandelions and mint and yes, we are pretty rural here, been here 3 yrs. The only thing I actually use but in limited area would be fire ant poison. I'd never pick anything near that. But I will get a couple mounds each year and they are horrible. They have to be taken care of. I guess you don't have those in the NE? Be glad. It's awful in the south.?
-Dee

Surely if you give them a day or two with no food to purge , the swap them over the special hornworm chow mix and feed them that for a few days they'll loose the accumulated toxins in them . Just speculation hut might work.

Surely there's a test kit for the toxin that you do on the worms for the toxin in the tomato or tobacco leafs , if it shows no toxin , it'll be fine.
I have no clue. But I'll pass on the chance of a worm giving Petey something bad. As long as I got greens and veggies, he could get by for a bit without worms I'm sure. He's adult. Lol ? He won't go hungry. I'll go hungry before I allow any of my babies to do without, they are my responsibility and I took that on freely. ? may not be ideal but ok temporarily and this will end at some point.?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":1pmb31vd said:
200g of medium to large very active BSFL and a medium batch of small crickets ( 20 - 25 day old ) about 900 arrived today .

That's great!? Petey's order of 1000 Supers should be here tomorrow.
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":gblikjr8 said:
kingofnobbys":gblikjr8 said:

-Dee

Borders are being closed , and with self distancing , I could find my bug supply in QLD might end up unable ship across the NSW/QLD board.
Same with bug supplier in Victoria as the NSW/Vic border will be closed too.
That leaves the bug supplier based in Sydney (and Sydney's our covid-19 hotspot).

By the time Level 2 restrictions come into effect , my silkworm eggs will be starting hatch .
So when I have used up all the crickets , I'll still have mealworms, superworms, BSFL & silkworms .
I wont be hard to breed superworms and mealworms , and I've got gadzillions of silkworm eggs and will have a constant resupply of these.
By the time I run out of chow , I'll have a bushy but small mulberry plant to take leafs off and we'll be back into spring and mulberry leafs will be available from GUMTREE sellers ( who I expect will be numerous by then with likely 1.5 to 2 million of people out of work (and an unemployment rate likely up between 20% to 30% here by then) and trying make some money ).

I have no illusions about this , the writing is on the wall , we are heading for another international depression by the end of 2020 and in 2021 .

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":1e7crug2 said:
DragonPete":1e7crug2 said:
kingofnobbys":1e7crug2 said:

-Dee

Borders are being closed , and with self distancing , I could find my bug supply in QLD might end up unable ship across the NSW/QLD board.
That leaves the bug supplier based in Sydney (and Sydney's out covid-19 hotspot).
Glad to hear you're set for bugs then! Kudos! ?
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":2qvry7td said:
kingofnobbys":2qvry7td said:
DragonPete":2qvry7td said:
kingofnobbys":2qvry7td said:

-Dee

That leaves the bug supplier based in Sydney (and Sydney's out covid-19 hotspot).
-Dee

Worst case : I harvest catepillas off my edible greens, and supplement with Rapishi stuff I have in backup and start trading silkworms and siikworm eggs for crickets breed by other local lizard keepers.

Now is not the time to start selling off my silkworm eggs , I may really need them in 6 months and then I'll buggered.
I might start selling surplus small ( 1" ) silkworms in a few months though or maybe trading them for crickets bred by others.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":3i3n16yc said:
DragonPete":3i3n16yc said:
DragonPete":3i3n16yc said:

-Dee

-Dee

Worst case : I harvest catepillas off my edible greens, and supplement with Rapishi stuff I have in backup and start trading silkworms and siikworm eggs for crickets breed by other local lizard keepers.

Now is not the time to start selling off my silkworm eggs , I may really need them in 6 months and then I'll buggered.
I might start selling surplus small ( 1" ) silkworms in a few months though or maybe trading them for crickets bred by others.
If you have other reptile owners near you, barter is a great idea.?
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I am now the proud owner of a black mulberry tree seedling.

On the front patio standing in a tub to get a good drink and get some sun and to start hardening up .
Advise is to let it harden up for 1 to 3 weeks before transplanting into a bed or a 40cm or bigger pot.

Have a stack of 40cm Décor Plastic selfwatering pots under the house , and ordered in four 30L bags of premium fruit potting mix to be delivered. If a fecall correctly , about one bag per pot of potting mix.

The mulberry tree wont be big enough to feed a big silkworms on a continuous basis , but will become my source of fresh leaves to start off the baby silkworms as they hatch and for the first few weeks in each batch ( from probably about September ).

Also some berry plant seeds ordered.
berry-parch-seed-pack.png

and some mixed nasturtium seeds too
nasturtium-starter-seed-pack.png

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":2liiqo0p said:
I am now the proud owner of a black mulberry tree seedling.

On the front patio standing in a tub to get a good drink and get some sun and to start hardening up .
Advise is to let it harden up for 1 to 3 weeks before transplanting into a bed or a 40cm or bigger pot.

Have a stack of 40cm Décor Plastic selfwatering pots under the house , and ordered in four 30L bags of premium fruit potting mix to be delivered. If a fecall correctly , about one bag per pot of potting mix.

The mulberry tree wont be big enough to feed a big silkworms on a continuous basis , but will become my source of fresh leaves to start off the baby silkworms as they hatch and for the first few weeks in each batch ( from probably about September ).

Also some berry plant seeds ordered.
berry-parch-seed-pack.png

and some mixed nasturtium seeds too
nasturtium-starter-seed-pack.png
Is your mulberry the kind that produces fruit too? Do you plan to eventually transplant it in the ground?
Looks like you're on the way to all sorts of good stuff. ?
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes . It will produce black mulberries.

The blackberry plants will have to be grown in a 40cm diam pot, here blackberry are weeds .

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
kingofnobbys":23zq56zz said:
Yes . It will produce black mulberries.

The blackberry plants will have to be grown in a 40cm diam pot, here blackberry are weeds .

BlackBerry is my fave berry. ❤ Love BlackBerry cobbler. BlackBerry jam. Yum! ? I want to plant a couple BlackBerry and a couple blueberry bushes this spring. ? meaning soon. Lol!
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My little mulberry tree
IMG-0261.jpg

Moving apace now , Hossein is well . So he'll be here on Friday am to finish filling my last 3m x 1.5m bed and top up my big 6m x 3m garden bed at front of house .
Getting 3 cu m of premium garden soil delivered , will be deposited on my green strip on a plastic tarp as I don't want to risk wrecking my new slab and driveway by having a loaded truck of up to 8 tons on it , my slab and driveway extension are reinforced , but not industrial strength , so OK for a big 4x4 and maybe a big caravan or mobile home or trailer boat but a truck is a risk. ( 3 cu m soil is about 5 tons by itself !! )

He'll be taking a Bunnings loan box trailor for day and collecting my tarps ( ordered from SuperCheapAuto via their Pick&Collect online ordering system).

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Just a correction. I ordered 500 NOT 1000 Supers. Brain wasn't working I guess. ? Anyway, they came, fat and active. Petey's happy. ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom