Baby Beardie Protein Subsitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an almost 4 month old baby beardie, Bee, who is about 8 inches long. I am planning to go out of town for 8 days and have my roommate care for my little baby. However, my roommate is completely grossed out and scared of live insects. I feed Bee about three times a day with small live crickets, but is there anything I could substitute for her protein that aren’t live insects just for the days I’m gone? I know there are pellets out there, but I don’t think she would touch those. Any help, suggestions, or experience with this would be amazing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can order some BSFL and have them fed to her -- they are like a worm if you order them make sure you order large and a lot of them dont dust them - they will live for 2 weeks on your counter before they turn to a fly and then still can be fed to your dragon
https://symtonbsf.com/
They are like a little grubby --- small and most dragons like them
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
What kind of feeders are you using now? Meal worms may have less of a grossout factor than crickets or roaches. :dontknow: Whoever takes care of your dragon won't have to touch any insects--they can be handled with a long tweezer forceps available most anywhere.

I'd try to work with your roommate on this issue, or find another sitter--but that's me.
You already seem to know how important protein is at this age/stage of growth.

Some may suggest baby food or other non-live options. I'd just check to make sure your dragon will eat something like that repeatedly. Some won't eat anything that isn't live & wiggling; others may try something once, but refuse it after that. EDID (Each Dragon Is Different).

Lesleybird

Get some of the smallest super worms, not meal worms, that you can find and get a glass bowl or plastic tray that you can put several of containers of the worms into it. Pour the bran into the bowl so the worms can eat. Make sure the bowl is tall enough so they cannot get out, but not so tall that your dragon cannot get out in or out easily. Teach your dragon that there is live food in the bowl that it can dig for. Don’t put the worms directly under a heat lamp as they could dry out too fast. Put a rock or something that he can perch on to watch the worms. You can do the same thing with small dubia roaches (dubias cannot climb up smooth surfaces), in a different bowl with roach food or beardie pellets for them to eat. Tell your friend to change a shallow water bowl daily for the dragon. If you have time I would get some water crystals for the roaches. Or, your friend could throw a piece of fruit or something in the bug dishes so that they have water. Have some extra container of worms that your friend could dump in the bowl if they run out. Remind him or her that they do not bite. And that dragons don’t bite. You also need to pay your roommate to pick up any visible poop with a paper towel and throw it in a plastic bag tied up and thrown out daily....... However, I am a nurse and I would not advise any travel unless it is very critical. This dam Covid 19 can take a week to 10 days to show symptoms and they say that we can spread the disease or catch it before people have symptoms. They say before it is over that it will likely infect 70 to 80 percent of the US. Our hospital system does not have enough ventilators if everyone gets sick all at one time. Lesley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom