Feeding during COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARESpapa

My local pet store where I would usually buy crickets is closed due to the spreading of coronavirus. I don't know how long beardies can go on only salad, or any alternatives to crickets or dubia roaches that might be available online. If anyone has any advice on how long a 1 year old beardies can go without crickets, or any temporary alternatives to live feeders, it would be much appreciated.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Now is definitely the time to buy online if you haven't. Trust me, once you buy online, you won't be buying from your petstore anymore.

You can buy 1000 crickets for probably the price you pay for 100 at your local store.

Any insect you buy at your petstore, and more, you can get online :)

Some good ones would be mealworms and supers, since you can buy a bulk amount and keep them alive forever.
You can also buy bulk crickets but they are harder to keep alive.
You can buy dubia roaches, silkworms, butterworms, hornworms, and BSFL.

Choices are endless :)

Personally, I just bought 1000 superworms and 500 mealworms. Those will last for months for me.
I also have a dubia colony, and about 500 BSFL left. All of the sites I buy from state they will not be affected by this, and will continue to operate. Although a few have told me they will no longer be letting you hold your package at the post office - for social distancing practices. Packages must be shipped to your home.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
For the foreseeable future my ordering will be
> medium crickets ( 600 ) every 2 or 3 weeks (new consignment here today)
> small (1/4 size ) crickets 900 every 4 to 6 weeks ( will grow and provide a buffer incase mediums are hard to come by , got consignment last week)
> I'm right for superworms
> I'm right for mealworms
> I have enough BSFL to keep me going for a month or two (got 200g consignment last week). Can they be refrigerated to make dormant ?
> I'm back into hatching silkworm eggs ( only this time I'm using chow instead of leaves , as I consider the risk of bought mulberry leaves being contaminated with Covid19 too high )
> have VetaFarm Lizard Pellets on hand if I need them
> have a few bottles of Repashi Grub Pie on hand if I need them
> I'll be growing my own greens.

I wouldn't rely on the local walk in petshop staying open , I suggest ordering for mail order delivery from commercial feeder breeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom