A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I panicked myself today lol. Gave the beardies a bath because I’m trying to get them to drink. They’re not receptive to a spray bottle or a dropper. I do spray down their greens and roaches though. Anywho, CandyCane was in the little tub and full on dove underwater head and all. I thought she was trying to drown herself lol. She’s not the biggest fan of baths. For some reason Wilbur, in all his feistiness, finds baths not so bad and even ate a horn worm during his. I did look up bathing on the forums and found that the diving with heads all the way underwater isn’t unusual and I shouldn’t panic. She did seem to like being wrapped up in the towel afterward and curled up all cozy. Anyway, when you guys bathe yours how long do you keep them in the water? Have they ever gone under? The water was shallow, couldn’t even cover their backs unless they pancaked.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
89276458_10104423382952380_8690593434118914048_o.jpg

CandyCane in all her chunky glory. This seems to be her new spot. Perfect temp, perfect distance from the UVB tube.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
So photogenic! CandyCane is gorgeous.
I love how they have favorite spots. I randomly added 2 pieces of wood to Mario's home literally hours before we got him, and they are his go-to spots when he isn't right on "Pride Rock," his basking spot.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

OMG, Wilbur is freaking amazing. You lucked out IMO on getting him especially for the price you pay. Breeders sometimes refer to these as the ones that got away. The dragons that developed into holdback/breeder quality. Wilbur is one of those IMO, by far. His colors are outstanding. And he's such a high quality leatherback too.

Not to take anything away from candycane, she is an amazing dragon too! Shoot, I'd take both of them if you let me :mrgreen: (don't tell my wife I'm even thinking about adding more lizards)

But really, I love Wilbur.

In regards to baths, it's really best not to let them go under IMO. Some dragons do ok with it, some don't. Here is a story about Moro and her bath scare if you have time:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249306

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3e6uvpzd said:
Hi there,

OMG, Wilbur is freaking amazing. You lucked out IMO on getting him especially for the price you pay. Breeders sometimes refer to these as the ones that got away. The dragons that developed into holdback/breeder quality. Wilbur is one of those IMO, by far. His colors are outstanding. And he's such a high quality leatherback too.

Not to take anything away from candycane, she is an amazing dragon too! Shoot, I'd take both of them if you let me :mrgreen: (don't tell my wife I'm even thinking about adding more lizards)

But really, I love Wilbur.

In regards to baths, it's really best not to let them go under IMO. Some dragons do ok with it, some don't. Here is a story about Moro and her bath scare if you have time:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=249306

-Brandon

I love leatherbacks. I think they're my favorite of any color lol. Wilbur has definitely colored up a lot, even more than his pictures from when we bought him. He's like a firecracker red orange, it's insane. Probably helps that his stress marks are gone too. I want a citrus tiger leatherback dunner one day.
I'm not sure why CandyCane is retaining her darkness. She's grey under her beard as well...I'm thinking it is a trans quality? Some days she's lighter than others. Not sure what makes a difference or not. She's been especially cranky lately unless you offer her food first then she lets you pet her, but otherwise she'll hiss. I think after the kids go to bed I'll start holding each of them for 15 minutes in these pocket blankets we have. It's a small little blanket with a bearded dragon sized pocket in it lol. We've all been sick at my house though so we've all just been laying about and watching TV. Perfect bearded dragon cuddle time (when the dog isn't hogging us that is).
Also that story makes me never want to bathe them again! I'm glad I followed my instinct and got CandyCane out. For right now I think they're well hydrated enough that I can hold off on baths until they're less frightened of all of us. At least for CandyCane. Wilbur is fine with them. They have excess water in their poop which I've read means they're well hydrated. And their roaches are gutloaded on roach feed as well as celery stalks and greens and those water crystals.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is a trans quality sometimes. Seemingly only for witblits and zeros though.

For instance, the hypo zeros usually look very white their whole lives. The trans zeros look pretty dark. Even the hypo trans zeros look dark, usually growing into a grey tone.

It will be very interesting to see how candycane develops.

Curiously, what UV source are you using with her?

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":gu1b3qdf said:
It is a trans quality sometimes. Seemingly only for witblits and zeros though.

For instance, the hypo zeros usually look very white their whole lives. The trans zeros look pretty dark. Even the hypo trans zeros look dark, usually growing into a grey tone.

It will be very interesting to see how candycane develops.

Curiously, what UV source are you using with her?

-Brandon

The reptisun 10.0 t5 uvb I believe.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
89852865_10104445772204140_5341971183350841344_n.jpg

Wilbur's backside floating in midair lol.
Both bearded dragons are doing well, and they're actually eating their greens. All of them. Currently waiting on an order of dubias and BSFL. Since they're some hungry monsters.

Also, I have a question about this on CandyCane's head. I know there is that "eye" in the center of their head, but if you look above and to the right of it she has some funny scales?
89439837_10104445772144260_3814883092967981056_n.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would just keep an eye on it.

KPS is very well known for paradox dragons. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for Candycane to start paradoxing. But, more than likely it's nothing. So just keep and eye on it and see how things go :)

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1qrc0ktj said:
I would just keep an eye on it.

KPS is very well known for paradox dragons. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for Candycane to start paradoxing. But, more than likely it's nothing. So just keep and eye on it and see how things go :)

-Brandon

K. I was trying to get a better picture of it but she's feisty and kept moving lol. I'm finding Wilbur to be the calmer one now. I do have to bring my dog in to get his internal stitches taken care of that keep popping out and I'll show my vet the picture. They have an in house beardie.
Her appetite is normal, her poop is normal, her cage is clean and her lights are great so. Who knows? Paradoxing would just be insane. Can they start this late? Idk how that works.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, it's definitely not something I'd be concerned with. So don't worry about it :)

Yes they can paradox late. I can't remember the IG handle now, but I believe KidsandDragons sold a seemingly normal looking baby to an unsuspecting buyer, and a few months later it paradoxed beautifully.

Still, rare, and probably not the case here, I was just bringing up a possibility, especially based on who you purchased from.

More than likely it's just a weird scale about to shed, or bug guts got on it, or she scraped it slightly. But still, nothing concerning to me at all :)

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":77c3s7zs said:
Well, it's definitely not something I'd be concerned with. So don't worry about it :)

Yes they can paradox late. I can't remember the IG handle now, but I believe KidsandDragons sold a seemingly normal looking baby to an unsuspecting buyer, and a few months later it paradoxed beautifully.

Still, rare, and probably not the case here, I was just bringing up a possibility, especially based on who you purchased from.

More than likely it's just a weird scale about to shed, or bug guts got on it, or she scraped it slightly. But still, nothing concerning to me at all :)

-Brandon
Ok good because I was about to panic and going straight yellow fungus lol. I took a few more pictures. Put her in a beanie because she likes being held in them and brought her to the window lol.
90339635_10104445915941090_2225824890861125632_n.jpg

89911748_10104445916115740_6358051392069828608_n.jpg

89429872_10104445916070830_688144517773131776_n.jpg

89926932_10104445923940060_5304869907228262400_n.jpg

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":c5at494s said:
Definitely not YF :D

-Brandon

Phew lol. I'm thinking it is maybe a scrape. They've both been shedding and she scratches her head a lot on her branch.

Also, idk if you noticed, Wilbur's stripes turned a yellow/orange with this shed. They're no longer beige/cream. His throat is also getting more yellow/orange. I wonder what they'll look like grown up. It's crazy how much they change from one shed to the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom