Coronavirus and Dragon Prepping

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
The coronavirus scare has closed my school and my son's school for at least two weeks, starting Monday, giving my overactive brain plenty of time to get panicky. I just read a FB post from dubiaroaches.com where they pretty much implored people not to think they had to stockpile feeders for their dragons... to which my panicky brain went, WAITASEC - DO I NEED TO BE STOCKPILING FEEDERS FOR MY DRAGON???

So I figured I'd post here to see what others were doing, given that this coronavirus thing is likely to get worse before it gets better (this from my cousin who works in a Boston hospital). Are YOU stockpiling feeders for your dragon? Just going along as usual? Keeping a little more on hand, but playing it by ear?

Stay safe and stay well, folks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The fact that food and supplies are getting hard to get for humans is ridiculous. It's not like food supplies have stopped. It's not like the virus makes people eat more. It's all people panicking.

So, there should be no reason why we would run out of bugs. Why would we be going through more bugs than we did a few months ago? the supply is the same, the "real" demand is the same.

That being said, if you are worried about it, you can always buy 1000 mealworms and superworms. Cheap and will last months. You can always start a dubia colony too. But typically you wouldn't want to feed out of it for at least 3 months to let the colony establish.

That being said, I typically do buy 1k supers twice a year or so. And I'm about ready for another order. Same with mealworms. I have a dubia colony, although I don't typically feed out of it. And I will continue to order my BSFL as I need them. I'm not worried about running out of bugs. But if for some God-forsaken reason bugs aren't available, the 1000 superworms I bought for 20 bucks will last me 3+ months.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Since I have an insect colony I don't have any personal concerns on the bug front. If I did I'd quick get supers to start breeding for them. The turn around time would be decent enough. A couple plastic bins, oatmeal, empty egg flat to let supers mature in.

For plants, I don't see things getting so bad grocery stores close down. That doesn't seem realistic. I doubt people will be buying out all the radicchio and collard greens either. Cut plants can be kept longer in fridge with some water in a cup. Gourds last a long time when whole, potatoes too.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
MrSpectrum":2kqfbm61 said:
Ordering feeders as usual for me. Eating feeders as usual for ZaRDoZ. :)
...Though I am stocking up on lizard toilet paper. :roll:
As long as you don't start price gouging that same toilet paper you do you (and ZaRDoZ too)

In general, I may have an odd almost lax attitude on COVID-19 because I do work in healthcare. From my area I know that I have third degree exposure right now. I expect to be in the front line and I am okay with that. Someone has to be on the front line and I knew years ago what it meant getting into healthcare (i.e. in the advent of a pandemic like this). At least I have the peace of mind to know exactly which clinics/hospitals have exactly this many kits available to properly test and what our guidelines are for people who should be tested. If I did get tested and it was negative K would call me. If it was positive Dr F would call me.

So to spin that around to my dragon again, I have a fairly solid idea how at risk I am and have proper prep time as the risk increased, and I expect where I am things will definitely get worse before any sort of getting better is a logical outcome. I'm getting some vegetables today. Sweet potatoes for the countertop. Gourds to put in fridge. Some greens. It's all I can do. Worse case scenario Devlyn will be down to bugs for awhile. I'll do what I can and have control over and that's all I can do.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DorgEndo":3dnv6h3z said:
As long as you don't start price gouging that same toilet paper you do you (and ZaRDoZ too)
:? Huh? :?

I do work in healthcare. .... I expect to be in the front line and I am okay with that.
thank-you.gif

(That's not me. :lol: )

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
MrSpectrum":1p14wqcq said:
DorgEndo":1p14wqcq said:
I was trying to joke about you starting to sell TP :D

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
I always have freeze dried feeders on hand for my dragons when i dont have live on hand but now im getting freeze dried crickets and mealworms and a zoomed pellet diet and healthy herp dragon diet. I dont know i feel like i when over but just be prepared. If my go to feeder source closes i dont know what to do because i dont buy from the retail stores because of low feeder quality

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
No , the live insects like roaches and crickets only live a limited time anyway.

You could set up one of more of the following
> a roach colony
> a cricket colony
> a silkworm farm ( buy little silkworms and let some go to cocoon stage and become moths , maybe 50 moths, who'll lay eggs and make you silkworm independent .

Long life insects like superworms are a good back stay .

A few bottles of GRUBPIE will help keep your dragon supplied with insect protein too.

Only addition I've made for my lizards' insect supply is I've ordered 250 superworms and might hatch some of my silkworm eggs , I've got more regular order of 600 x med crickets ordered and have a few bottles of grubpie stashed that were never opened.

I'll likely review the situation in 2 or 3 weeks when my supply of crickets is getting low , coming into winter here , I may opt to brumate the skinks and dragons over winter if the insect supply situation gets bad or deliveries become impossible even Sydney to Newcastle ( ie Sydney goes into lockdown and the roads are closed …. can't see that happening though under any circumstance that's forseeable and realistic , though interstate travel / shipments may be locked down ==> I wont be able to source from QLD or Victoria).

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DorgEndo":3myn4jb7 said:
MrSpectrum":3myn4jb7 said:
DorgEndo":3myn4jb7 said:
I was trying to joke about you starting to sell TP :D
I figured that much. It was that last part I was having trouble deciphering. Nevermind; there'll always be more opportunities for jokes. :wink: :D

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, folks... I appreciate it. And April, thanks for being on the front lines. My niece is a CNA in a nursing home, so she's out there with you - I say an extra prayer for you folks in the medical profession each night.

Personally, I'm not doing so well with this social distancing mandate - my panic/anxiety disorder has been flaring up like mad, and my usual way of calming myself is to go out and run errands, even if they're make-believe errands. Can't do that with the social distancing saying not to go into stores unless it's a necessity. This morning going to the dog park helped, but every day is a new adventure in high blood pressure and anxiety. Because I'm a teacher, I'm now out of work indefinitely, so that doesn't help.

I guess the key is keeping busy. Tomorrow I plan to either break down Figment's cage and give it a good cleaning or attack the algae-ridden goldfish tank (though with that, it's so bad that I'm seriously considering just getting a new tank and starting it from scratch!) I've got a new shipment of roaches coming in probably Thursday, and my dear hubby got watercress for Figment to try for his salads this week.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":2x82x2s9 said:
Thanks for the feedback, folks... I appreciate it. And April, thanks for being on the front lines. My niece is a CNA in a nursing home, so she's out there with you - I say an extra prayer for you folks in the medical profession each night.

Personally, I'm not doing so well with this social distancing mandate - my panic/anxiety disorder has been flaring up like mad, and my usual way of calming myself is to go out and run errands, even if they're make-believe errands. Can't do that with the social distancing saying not to go into stores unless it's a necessity. This morning going to the dog park helped, but every day is a new adventure in high blood pressure and anxiety. Because I'm a teacher, I'm now out of work indefinitely, so that doesn't help.

I guess the key is keeping busy. Tomorrow I plan to either break down Figment's cage and give it a good cleaning or attack the algae-ridden goldfish tank (though with that, it's so bad that I'm seriously considering just getting a new tank and starting it from scratch!) I've got a new shipment of roaches coming in probably Thursday, and my dear hubby got watercress for Figment to try for his salads this week. And in the grand scheme of things, I guess anxiety is a small price to pay for being safe. Hope all of you are doing okay, too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ComicBookMama":31eu6zot said:
ComicBookMama":31eu6zot said:

I guess the key is keeping busy. Tomorrow I plan to either break down Figment's cage and give it a good cleaning or attack the algae-ridden goldfish tank (though with that, it's so bad that I'm seriously considering just getting a new tank and starting it from scratch!) I've got a new shipment of roaches coming in probably Thursday, and my dear hubby got watercress for Figment to try for his salads this week. And in the grand scheme of things, I guess anxiety is a small price to pay for being safe. Hope all of you are doing okay, too.

Since you are a teacher , get a jump on when your are allowed back to work by doing a load of lesson plans ( perhaps a year's worth ) or maybe take an online course to improve your credentials and skills as a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom