newbie first time buyer bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a really nice looking tank,, I like the big basking log . :) When you set up the uvb fixture inside keep in mind that it needs to be on the same side as the basking bulbs. That tank IS big enough to have another lower watt basking bulb on the left side as well but it's not absolutely necessary. And this is the uvb bulb that Karrie was referring , first link is the light, second is the fixture :

https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html

https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html

You'll need at least the 24" light. You could still go with something from Petco but make sure it's the right size + good strength.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
hunterkevin8":3rzdywhi said:
I tried a 100 watt and I can only get temp up to 80 on the basking spot. But for the other half of the tank it was around 50 to 60 degrees.
I agree the enclosure should be up off the floor. Mine is on a standard 72" x 30" folding table I got off craigslist.

There are a couple of ways of raising enclosure temperatures in general. One is to add more heat, whether via lights or ceramic heat emitter (CHE). The other is to reduce heat loss by insulating the back, sides, and top (except for lighting and ventilation). It looks like you may have some insulation on top already. Half-inch thick rigid foam insulation (white, pink, or blue) works well, as does a similar thickness of layers of corrugated board with the flutes alternating direction in each layer. Insulation can be painted or otherwise decorated, and use your background poster between the glass and the insulation.

I have a 3/4" plywood enclosure (provides same insulating value as 1/2" rigid foam) 60"L x 24"D x 26"H with glass doors in front. The whole thing is heated to 80° to 90°F (95° to 107°F basking temps) by a single 75W incandescent floodlight bulb. The lights come on at 7am, and by noon, it gets hot enough to activate a thermostatically-controlled muffin fan to draw out excess heat. The point is, insulating can help a LOT. :)

I have the reptile carpet is that fine than using the tiles?
Reptile carpet isn't the worst substrate, but many of us prefer & use ceramic or vinyl floor tile (rough ceramic tile can help keep nails short without clipping). Here are some articles on choosing the best/safest substrate for you.

The Best (And Safest) Substrates for Bearded Dragons
Choosing The Best Substrate for a Bearded Dragon
Choosing the Best Substrate for Bearded Dragons (I find the table particularly useful)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
hunterkevin8":1zn0sz9v said:
That insulation will certainly work, but I think 1" thick may be overkill and perhaps cumbersome. Half-inch should be sufficient, but it's up to you.

The floor tile you've chosen will require grouting, which (depending on the type of grout) may or may not require periodic sealing to prevent absorbing stains & odors (if unopened it's returnable) . Large (12" x 24") tiles--cut if necessary--placed snug against each other (over a moisture barrier like non-adhesive shelf liner taped at seams & borders) won't require grout and are easily removable for cleaning if necessary. That's a personal aesthetic choice up to you.

The wall tiles look fine. I didn't know they made/sold self-adhesive! I used the this one.

Timing may be a bit more complicated. I can tell you what I used, but others may have other/better options. I used two of these; one for basking & plants, another for UVB--set to turn on an hour after the basking light, and turn off an hour before the basking light (to sort of simulate the sun rising & setting). I control the enclosure temps with a thermostatically-controlled ultra-quiet muffin fan installed behind the vent on the hot side. If the enclosure temp goes above 90°F the fan turns on until the temp drops to 88°F. I got the fan & control stuff here. I don't recall the exact models, but they have lots of options, and were very helpful guiding us through it on the phone. It was plug-n-play, but I did have to hard wire my basking light because of the particular fixture I chose. :wink:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hunterkevin sorry if I missed it but do you already the stand or whatever you are going to put this tank on ? You'll need something really sturdy . I would use non adhesive shelf liner rather than tile for a couple of reasons. Your enclosure is already going to be very heavy, plus the shelf liner won't be as hard on the feet as tile is. Tile is actually more unnatural because most beardies just don't live on hard rock. It's good to have a flat rock or 2 in the tank to file the nails down though.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
What I see looks really nice, but can't tell if it's finished--mostly because I can't see any front doors, but if they're there, then it's even cooler. 8)

Love the log--what kind of wood is it?

Can you tell us what's going on on the right side?

Thanks.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
hunterkevin8":2k291235 said:
I don't know what kidn of wood it is. What do you mean going on the right side?
Sorry. What's going on on the right side (of the enclosure)?

I can't tell what all the equipment is, or if some of it is even inside or outside (and unrelated). I see a black box of some kind in the upper RH corner, and what looks like something hanging in front of it. I also see some kind of white boxy thing resting on the floor (and another in the center back). I see a big gray thing that looks like it's leaning against the inside of the left wall, and some wires taped to the glass behind that.

Is the enclosure finished (i.e. done) or is work still in-progress?

Beansauce

So I fixed most of the problems I had going on with Bean. Hes eating, drinking and the tank in the basking are is up to 97, and I have a night heating lamp on the way. But I have one last question about his UVB. I know what type to get. The tube T5, but where could I get one for a little cheaper. I realy cant afford that right now. And if I cant get one cheaper what else could I use for some time until i can get one of those lights.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Go to this website http://www.pangeareptiles.com look under fixtures there is a fixture 24" for $32-- then order the 22" Reptisun bulb the 10.0 T 5 bulb or the Arcadia 12% bulb it is just as good- these people are fast and good -- if it's warm where you are you can take him out in a plastic tote no glass- set him in direct sunlight for 15 minutes per day that will equal out to about 4 hrs of UVB
Karrie

Make sure the UVB reaches the basking area as it is essential for there to be both heat and uvb when basking for digestion, growth and well being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom