Coughing (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Deabrua":1unmi33g said:
UPDATE: lungs no longer crackle. New set of xrays:
large soft tissue opacity filling ~1/2 of R lung field- similar to last VD, but more lung inflation this time around
The lack of crackle sounds like an improvement. :) Soft tissue opacity not so good. :( VD? :?
More lung inflation means she's breathing better, correct? Or am I reading that incorrectly?
Did the vet offer any prognosis?

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Either she's breathing better, or less was blocking the view of her lungs this time. Or both. Vet said to not worry unless the issue becomes more consistent or she shows other signs of being unwell. I assume VD is shorthand for what they refer to xrays as. Ive Friday off so we're going to see if she'll be willing to eat at some point.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Just found this handy reference site:
Veterinary Abbreviations & Acronyms Guide
...and another...
Veterinary Abbreviations

Oh, heck--here's the whole search; there are more sites than I thought--folks can pick which list/reference they like. :wink:
veterinary shorthand

VD = Ventral-dorsal, which suggests it's the view (through a lizard) from the underside upward toward the topside.

Here's a book I found referenced on another site.
Dictionary of Veterinary Terms: Vet-speak Deciphered for the Non-veterinarian

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
5 days of not eating, 2 days of not basking. Third vet visit with someone different on Feb 21.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Deabrua":1axdimma said:
5 days of not eating, 2 days of not basking. Third vet visit with someone different on Feb 21.
In another situation, I might ask/wonder if those symptoms could be the start of brumation(?)
Is she still defecating ok? Are you monitoring her weight?

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She's still active and running around, so Id assume its not brumation. Today I found out she's willing to devour superworms, but wont touch crickets or dubias. She's also eating greens again. Last time she defecated was the last day she ate on the 10th. She weighed 378g in november (idk specific date), 377g on Jan 19, and 398g on Feb 11.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Hmmm... Picky eater. Mine's picky with greens/veggies, but hoovers anything that moves. They're all different, and it behooves us to learn their individual idiosyncrasies.

I wouldn't (normally) expect her to defecate until 24-48 hrs. after eating well, so if she went a few days w/o eating, I'd expect a few days w/o the other. The weight gain is encouraging; I'd be concerned if she were losing that much weight over the same period. Once she levels off (stops growing naturally) I'd start thinking about weight gain/loss in terms of percentage of total body weight rather than X grams. I don't remember the threshold OTTOMH, but I'll ask next time I see one of the vets.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She defecated at some point today as well. Wasn't home to see it till after that message was posted. I dont want to feed her too many superworms but right now its the only insect she's eating.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
If she's still at a stage where she needs protein, as long as the supers aren't causing digestive issues, I'd feed them and work it out later when you feel she's ok.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I'm not sure what dictates whether they still need protein or not, but she's still growing so I'd assume so.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Yup. They'll always need some protein. What I meant (to say) was, "If she's still at a stage where she needs mostly protein..."
But I think you caught my drift... 8)

My point was, I'd rather feed her the supers than no insect feeders at all while she's still growing.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She's still growing, and will be fed superworms till I can get her eating crickets or dubias again.

EDIT: 2/18 got her to eat a single cricket and basking again.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
It took close to an entire month but she is eating crickets whether she has to chase or is hand fed and basking like normal. She has also gained a considerable amount of weight at 436g as opposed to the 399 during the vet visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom