Logistics of feeding crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a baby beardie. I've owned adults in the past, but this is my first baby. I was wondering how people go about feeding crickets? S/he(unsure of sex yet) is in a 40gal breeder size terrarium. As soon as I start putting crickets in they take off and hide faster than he can catch them. So he only manages to grab one or two. I have tried dropping them in front of him one at a time but he gets nervous when he sees my hand so it takes him several seconds to realize there's food and by then the cricket has taken off. The only way he catches any is if I dump a bunch in and then he manages to grab one or two but the rest go hide. Would it be too stressful for him in I placed him in an empty container at feeding times so the crickets can't hide? I'm looking at ordering dubias and possibly wax worms today as they were my staple feeders for previous dragons, but they won't be here for a few days. I was able to convince him to ear a few dollars greens last night.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unless you have a really minimalistic enclosure, feeding crickets in a separate bin is usually best. Otherwise be prepared to spend a half hour trying to get all the crickets back out that weren't eaten. You don't want them left in their overnight. Crickets are known to nibble at sleeping dragons.

-Brandon

Momofboys3425

Original Poster
Thank you! I will take him out for feedings. I spent last night moving everything around hunting for crickets lol.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Momofboys3425":x4nxdfc9 said:
Thank you! I will take him out for feedings. I spent last night moving everything around hunting for crickets lol.
I've heard it's easier to disable the crickets back legs. Never fed crickets, only have an adult. But it's an option if moving him in and out is too stressful for him. He's a baby and not settled in yet. Might be a help to try that.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom