Vibrating dish DIY ideas

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Vibrating dish DIY ideas

Postby NBGwen » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:21 am

Hey folks - so I've been trying to get Carl my rescue to eat healthier...and by extension get Charlie (my original beardie) to eat something other than bok choi. Neither one of them has a single appearance of interest in any of it.

What I've started doing is making a mix of veggies, fruits and dried bugs that I puree (hoping the smell of the bugs encourages eating), I've frozen these in portions and thaw them as I use them. When I thaw them, I add plenty of hot water and some freeze dried veggies that absorb most of the excess water. It is stinky, but packed with nutrition for them. Neither one of them will go near it :? I know that they will practically attack anything that moves. Carl, especially, will lunge at moving crickets (Charlie is so lazy).

Is there a DIY way to make the bowls vibrate to encourage eating? I tried the Exo-Terra Vivicator and returned it...it didn't even vibrate (broken out of the box unfortunately). I really want to encourage these guys to eat better. Any ideas are appreciated. I seem to always get the ones that hate fresh veggies and fruits!

Gwen
“Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
NBGwen
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Vibrating dish DIY ideas

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:07 am

Last edited by kingofnobbys on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby NBGwen » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:11 am

kingofnobbys wrote:https://www.edresources.com.au/littlebits-output-bits-vibration-motor?gclid=CjwKCAiA7t3yBRADEiwA4GFlI64ZKeLQAWyNJY1-tlTF-AWgQEdhxB65dq8Kt4ZiuCqscQC-xL3xLxoCeDUQAvD_BwE

:shock: BAZINGA! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!!!
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
NBGwen
Juvie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:14 am

Just my opinion, but I'm skeptable [sic]. :roll:

These kinds of gimmicks might fool owners; I'm not sure they're going to fool the reptiles. (BICBW)
1. They know/can smell the difference between live & dead prey, even if freeze-dried. :wink:
2. Would you eat from a vibrating dish? :shock:

That said, I do have a similar problem. If it doesn't move, ZaRDoZ won't eat it, or even check it out. The Force (feeder instinct) is strong in this one. :laughing6:
The solution so far is serving live prey--with salad cut into mouthful size pieces--mixed together. The bugs/worms crawling around make the salad move. When he goes for a bug/worm, he usually gets some greens with it, and once in the mouth it goes down. I call it, "salad with his steak". :lol: Occasionally, he comes up with a mouthful of salad, and it still goes down. Any larger pieces of salad/greens get spit out. He walked around the other day with a piece stuck to his lip for 4 hrs, which was funny, but it didn't go in so it didn't go down. :(
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby NBGwen » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:33 am

MrSpectrum wrote:Just my opinion, but I'm skeptable [sic]. :roll:

These kinds of gimmicks might fool owners; I'm not sure they're going to fool the reptiles. (BICBW)
1. They know/can smell the difference between live & dead prey, even if freeze-dried. :wink:
2. Would you eat from a vibrating dish? :shock:

That said, I do have a similar problem. If it doesn't move, ZaRDoZ won't eat it, or even check it out. The Force (feeder instinct) is strong in this one. :laughing6:
The solution so far is serving live prey--with salad cut into mouthful size pieces--mixed together. The bugs/worms crawling around make the salad move. When he goes for a bug/worm, he usually gets some greens with it, and once in the mouth it goes down. I call it, "salad with his steak". :lol: Occasionally, he comes up with a mouthful of salad, and it still goes down. Any larger pieces of salad/greens get spit out. He walked around the other day with a piece stuck to his lip for 4 hrs, which was funny, but it didn't go in so it didn't go down. :(

hmmm...I'm not sure how I'll put it the live bugs in the mixed food :? Oh, the freeze dried bugs are literally pulped up with the food, so they wouldn't be able to see it (it's freeze dried meal worms, which I would never feed them live, but I thought the extra protein would be good for them, specifically Carl). And nope, I wouldn't eat out of a vibrating dish LOL, but I'm getting desperate. Carl loves his crickets, but he also likes superworms...I could put superworms in the food. Charlie would be the harder one - if it's in food, he wouldn't touch it :( ugh.
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
NBGwen
Juvie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Well, if you skipped the puree-ing part, and used live bugs/worms (supers) instead of dehydrated, I think the rest might work out about the same. Do you gut load your bugs and/or use a vitamin supplement (e.g. herptivite)?

NBGwen wrote:"I want the freedom to carve and chisel my own face, to staunch the bleeding with ashes, to fashion my own Gods from my entrails." - Gloria Anzualdua

Dang, that's hard.
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby NBGwen » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:23 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:Well, if you skipped the puree-ing part, and used live bugs/worms (supers) instead of dehydrated, I think the rest might work out about the same. Do you gut load your bugs and/or use a vitamin supplement (e.g. herptivite)?

I do have fresh supers and crickets that I gut load for the boys, just trying to get more nutrients into them, especially Carl. I started making the puree due to practicality, but have been adding the freeze dried trying to make it look more palatable and occasionally add in fresh bok Choi. Only been doing it a couple of weeks, but...no luck. I'll skip the freeze dried and work on more fresh with bugs.

NBGwen wrote:"I want the freedom to carve and chisel my own face, to staunch the bleeding with ashes, to fashion my own Gods from my entrails." - Gloria Anzualdua

Dang, that's hard.[/quote]

Haha yeah, you're the first person to ever say anything about it. I hooked it on after a hugely nasty split from a very nasty ex. Wanted my life back and it stuck.
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
NBGwen
Juvie Poster

Postby NBGwen » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:12 am

Hey gang - here's what I've been feeding the boys. I thought a visual would give everyone a better idea of what I've been trying 😊

[Click image to enlarge]
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
NBGwen
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby MrSpectrum » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:34 am

WOW! Your dragons eat better than I do! Looks (with my aging eyes) like a Mexican platter! :D
Wanna come cook for us? :roll:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby NBGwen » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:26 am

🤣 that's a mix of that pre-made puree with freeze dried and fresh veggies! I grate up the veggies too. I've been putting supers in the mix and they have yet to eat it. Ugh 🙄
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
NBGwen
Juvie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:03 am

Umm... On second thought, I'll pass! :lol:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby NBGwen » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:04 am

MrSpectrum wrote:Umm... On second thought, I'll pass! :lol:

LOL yeah, I'd pass too 🤣
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
NBGwen
Juvie Poster

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:03 am

NBGwen wrote:Hey gang - here's what I've been feeding the boys. I thought a visual would give everyone a better idea of what I've been trying 😊

[Click image to enlarge]

That looks a lot like "chop" for birds (without the bugs in, although some birds might enjoy that as well). My dragon also barely eats veggies so far, but he does take a bite here and there, so there's hope. I just keep offering. Took one of my birds *18 months* of daily offered veggies before he so much as tried any. Now he goes right to the veggie dish when I place it. Hoping Norbert will have that same sort of "on" switch at some point. 😂
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Juvie Poster

Postby NBGwen » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:30 am

JumpinJellyfish wrote:
NBGwen wrote:Hey gang - here's what I've been feeding the boys. I thought a visual would give everyone a better idea of what I've been trying 😊

[Click image to enlarge]

That looks a lot like "chop" for birds (without the bugs in, although some birds might enjoy that as well). My dragon also barely eats veggies so far, but he does take a bite here and there, so there's hope. I just keep offering. Took one of my birds *18 months* of daily offered veggies before he so much as tried any. Now he goes right to the veggie dish when I place it. Hoping Norbert will have that same sort of "on" switch at some point. 😂

HAHA yes, it does look a lot like bird chop! I figure if it looks good to me, maybe it will look good to them... :? My birds shy away from fresh foods, so now I make a mash that's pureed and frozen into serving sizes (a budgie and a parrotlet, they don't eat much)...with my health issues, it was the most convenient way and they love it. I add in pellets that pretty much merge with the mash before I freeze it and I add in a bit of seed to entice them when I serve it. So far, so great! When I had my Indian Ringneck though, it was all fresh.

I'll keep putting it in their enclosures with supers added in (live of course) in hopes of drawing them to it!
― Marthe Troly-Curtin
NBGwen
Juvie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:29 am

NBGwen wrote:I figure if it looks good to me, maybe it will look good to them... :?

That's what I thought until you told me what's in it. :(

I'll keep putting it in their enclosures with supers added in (live of course) in hopes of drawing them to it!

That's what I thought too, only he goes straight for the supers and ignores everything else--including his beloved num-numz (dubia roaches)--holding out for more supers. They're... insidious! :lol:
At first I was concerned about the higher fat content, but his fat pads aren't prominent or growing, so I'll keep watch while trying to push the dubias (and greens/salads) again. I also keep trying fruits, but he tries something once, then won't touch it again, and backs away when offered by hand/forceps. :dontknow:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Feeding