Dehydration ? Mouth rot ? Yellow fungus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great, I give as much credit to the honey for all the healing going on. I'm really glad for you + the Nugget. :)

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ugh so now I’m starting to worry about URI ?.. his eye is back to kind of mucousy today. Not as bloody or irritated but the mucous is back. He’s also very sluggish after a few good days & i think he’s breathing weird every now and then. At rest he seems to breath normal , but after I stir him a little (I flushed his eyes with just saline tonight) he takes big belly breaths for a 10-15 breaths and then settles again. I think I also heard him take at least one or two gasp breaths. I rearranged some things so he’s sleeping tilted upward and I plugged in a dehumidifier & bumped the temps. I hope I’m just being paranoid but I have a gut feeling this is turning into a respiratory issue. He showed no signs of this before starting baytril - is it possible for him to develop a worse infection while already fighting the minor one ? His follow up vet apt is Thursday but I’m going to call first thing in the morning and find out if we can get in tomorrow. Any thoughts tonight ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, that's disheartening. It may be that he's stressed and breathing funny in response to going through an unpleasant experience. Hopefully it's just stress.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I had forgotten you had this thread, too.
He is still not breathing real well right now? You are taking him to the vet tomorrow to have
him checked out again?
Stress can cause irregular breathing & gasping sometimes. If you are seeing more mucous,
that isn't good, but his eye is doing a little better?
I'm sorry he is having so much trouble!

Tracie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’m going to try to get him to the vet today if they’ll take him. His eye is better but not by a whole lot. When I clean it out it looks great and he opens his eye but then the next day it’s shut and has some mucous in it again . No mucous that I can tell in his mouth his gums look great

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We got into the vet! Mostly good news I think. She was pretty concerned about the look of him being so dark & lethargic and he lost 20grams since his initial apt on Feb 25th.

She did a chest X-Ray - no sign of fluids thank goodness !!
She also did blood work - white count was fine (she did not do bloodwork at his last apt so nothing to compare it to)

She then gave him a dewormer to be safe and then some IV fluids which perked time up!

She’s concerned about his eyes of course, she said possible fungal infection. She’s mostly concerned about the yellow spots on him. He’s always had a yellowish tinge to his colouring, which concerned me when I first learned about yellow fungus but the spots she’s pointing out are around damaged areas - above his bad eye & his injection site on his shoulder.

She gave us some lidocaine for his lips once a day and ophthalmic ointment for his eye twice a day.

She also prescribed an antifungal just incase. She said the only way to confirm yellow fungus is via biopsy and she does not feel his body can handle that right now. They had to order it in so we don’t have it yet.

She also suggest we give him cricket smoothies .. anybody have any info on that ?

He is again a little more active after the vet visit. We’re going back in 2 weeks or earlier if we think it’s necessary.

107445-6118643284.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, that is mostly good news, I agree! So no fluids in his lungs shown on x-rays so that is
very positive news indeed. How is his breathing today? Did she say to cease giving him the
Baytril, for now?
I personally would give just the probiotics right now, along with the eye & mouth treatments,
of course. If those areas are fungal, chances are it is just external so continue with the honey
on those suspicious looking areas for now.
Cricket smoothies have been used for a long time. IF you can stomach it, sure, they are very
nutritious. If not, you can stick with chicken or turkey baby food mixed with squash & or sweet
potato baby food.

Keep us posted on him. I hope that he will perk up & gain some weight back. At least the fluids
seemed to help him. Which dewormer did she give him?

Tracie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He hasn’t been belly breathing so bad anymore. He’s basking with his mouth open a lot now since coming home, but no mucous or anything inside his mouth still. No more baytril for now vet was happy with his white count. You think I should put some honey on his shoulder where the yellow patch is ?

I have a pretty strong stomach lol but can’t seem to find any info on how to make the cricket smoothies.

And I’m not sure the name of the dewormer I wasn’t able to make it to the apt my boyfriend had to take him in as I was working

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that his lungs are clear ! :) Thankfully he doesn't need any more meds so hopefully his appetite should begin to increase now. Was his baytril treatment given by injection or orally, I can't remember ? Is that what the spot on his shoulder was from or was that the sub =q fluids ? It's usually the baytril treatment that would take his appetite away. I doubt he has Y.F., just odd skin patches. To make a cricket smoothie you would just do like any smoothie but you could add honey + greens to make it taste good for him. Of course you'd need a blender just for that , no longer for human use. I
d just give him time and offer any type of insect that would trier his appetite. You can squish a cricket, superworm or roach and rub the guts lightly on his mouth, that sometimes works. You could also try a product called jump start from the pet store [ call to see if they have it ] Try a nice big hornworm as well if you can get them, most beardies love them. Other than that , just be patient and repeat any of those methods every few days.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His first baytril dose was via injection , the rest were orally administered. I blended up some bok choy, acorn & butternut squash, red & green peppers and a few blueberries. Gonna add some crickets and super worms tonight and try and feed him that. I have some backup beardie pellets exo Terra brand that he used to LOVE but I stopped feeding them when he seemed dehydrated weeks ago, could I add a few of those in?

All he’s eaten since starting the baytril was hornworms but he hasn’t had any since the 5th. Still not interested today but he’s much more active and his eyes look much better. His lips are full of iodine in the pictures . This morning he woke up right when his lights came on, for the last week I’ve had to move him around to wake him every afternoon so he seems to be feeling better for sure

107445-8966889423.jpg

107445-8185303374.jpg

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nugget is looking way better !! And must be feeling better too, he ate 3 hornworms & 5 crickets before giving up yesterday ! That’s the first time he’s eaten live bugs in over a week, other than that he has only had a few hornworms 2 weeks ago. He’s been tolerating the smoothie pretty well too & will lap up about 3ml at a time (bok choy, acorn & butternut squash, bell peppers, blueberries, crickets & superworms + calcium powder)

The vet just called and said the anti fungal she ordered as a precaution is in. Do you think it will ruin any progress with his appetite ? Is there any harm in giving it to him if he doesn’t need it ?

107445-7336570262.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear this ! Now that he's off the antibiotx he's gotten his appetite back. :) But there's no proof that he has Y.F., that's not really what it looks like. If a vet is going to give those powerful meds. they should have done a skin scrape to be sure. I don't see any Y.F., just discolored scales. That can happen to any small wound, like the injection site. I would not give those meds. if it were my dragon.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So Nuggets eyes & lips are still improving everyday & he’s keeping his eyes open and his head up most of the day, but still not moving around his tank much. He’ll crawl up and down his log or onto his hammock maybe once or twice a day and that’s about it. I noticed one of his arms looks a little swollen. It doesn’t seem to hurt him at all and he does still move it and walk with it.

I’m wondering if this has something to do with his diet while he’s been sick ? He still won’t touch his greens. He’ll eat crickets or bugs once every 4-5 days. However I have been able to get the cricket smoothie into him about 2ml-10ml daily. It has lots of veggies in it. The only green I’ve been able to find is bok choy but I added some calcium powder to it along with squash and bell peppers.

I still haven’t gotten the benebac in the mail yet, hopefully by Monday. With it I also ordered some dandelion powder & bee pollen so hopefully he’ll start eating normally again soon.

107445-9763091309.jpg

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His first injection was in his shoulder then he got the bloodwork from his tail . He may have gotten the dewormer in his arm I wasn’t in the room but I don’t think so . Can’t say for sure

I’ve read that calcium deficiency can cause swollen limbs. Should I maybe pick up some liquid calcium ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom