A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
88313724_10104410540299160_7918523365596332032_n.jpg

CandyCane didn't know what to think of my daughter's beanie boos this morning.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Finally made a breakthrough and have gotten both of them to eat from my hands instead of tongs today with some small superworms. Also, fun way to get them to eat their salad is to wiggle a big piece of greens around the enclosure and they run to it. Wilbur was having a lot of fun lol. And at a lot of greens!

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
How many roaches do you typically put in the salad? We just fed Mario for the first time and he downed 12 quarter-inchers in about a minute!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MariosDad":2r43rtl5 said:
How many roaches do you typically put in the salad? We just fed Mario for the first time and he downed 12 quarter-inchers in about a minute!
Babies can eat a serious amount of bugs. I've heard it said to let them eat all they want in about 15 mins. ?
-Dee

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MariosDad":24pwgbr3 said:
I calculated it. 2 bearded dragons at 1000 roaches from Friday to Friday is about 70 a day each. With only 1 or 2 dead roaches. I never count (I probably should lol) so that would be 35 or so each feeding and all get eaten within the 15 minute period. They’re both on their 3rd shed in the 5 weeks we’ve had them too.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Because I've only had an adult, I didn't go thru that but I hear it's a bunch of bugs for those growing babies! ?
-Dee

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":163xgeps said:
Because I've only had an adult, I didn't go thru that but I hear it's a bunch of bugs for those growing babies! ?
-Dee
Everything I read had me prepared, but they really didn’t start chowing down like crazy for a few weeks. They shipped to us right around their shed time so they ate but didn’t eat a lot for the first few weeks but recently their growth and their appetites has taken off like crazy!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":203541bs said:
DragonPete":203541bs said:
-Dee
Everything I read had me prepared, but they really didn’t start chowing down like crazy for a few weeks. They shipped to us right around their shed time so they ate but didn’t eat a lot for the first few weeks but recently their growth and their appetites has taken off like crazy!
They're growing well, cause they're eating well. ? At this point seems like they are in a state of constant shed, as I understand it. ?
-Dee

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":15cb68cm said:
opaquelace":15cb68cm said:
DragonPete":15cb68cm said:
-Dee
They're growing well, cause they're eating well. ? At this point seems like they are in a state of constant shed, as I understand it. ?
-Dee
Lol pretty much. Wilbur finished his full body shed and 2 days later his head and front legs were starting to get lighter and take on the shedding appearance. He sheds head and front legs first, then body and back legs plus his tail. CandyCane sheds tail first, then whole body.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Wow, ok. Good to hear. I think tomorrow we'll start on a "normal" feeding schedule with Mario and see how many he eats. He did stop after #12 and run up a log to bask, so maybe my concern of him gorging for his first meal was overblown.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MariosDad":10xrump1 said:
Wow, ok. Good to hear. I think tomorrow we'll start on a "normal" feeding schedule with Mario and see how many he eats. He did stop after #12 and run up a log to bask, so maybe my concern of him gorging for his first meal was overblown.

I find mine will eat all super fast some days, and on other days they’ll eat half then go bask, then get down to get some more. Some days they’re up and down for 30 minutes alternating between salad and roaches lol. They’re pretty active, especially CandyCane my daughter’s lady dragon. She’s the trans witblit. My sons is more calm throughout the day but he’s more likely to scurry when I stick my hand in there. Although he’s been eating salad from my hands lately which is awesome.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
That is awesome! I think we're going to let Mario chill until next weekend before we start trying to handle him for weighing or hand/tong feeding him. I still laugh at how yours are so different! Mario dives off his basking spot into his murder pit (bowl) to chow down. It's funny but frightening!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
88184741_10104419028698340_1787904497738055680_o.jpg

I rearranged CandyCane's logs a little bit. I don't think she could get close enough to the UVB to get enough, and since I moved it around she's been under it a lot more. She's getting huge, and she had her first hornworm today (which she loved, seriously she almost dived into the air before I could get close enough with it). I had run out of bugs until noon when the shipment came in too, so all they had was salad first thing this morning but she ate all her strawberries and half her greens which is crazy.

88169121_10104419028743250_4128741465960480768_o.jpg

88112818_10104419028987760_1636149447605878784_o.jpg

Wilbur chowing down on some roaches after they came in. He loved the hornworms too, and my son even got him to eat from his hand which he loved. He put a roach on the back of his hand and Wilbur got it with his tongue. He was so excited.

Kadiddle

KarrieRee":1wn703gf said:
We have had several accidents w/ baby dragons and dogs on here w/ in the last couple of months --- and they did not turn out good --- first the dog will stress the dragon out ---- and depending on the dog it will haft to be up to you to watch the behavior of the dog --- I myself would keep the dog out of the room or away from the dragon --- but please dont isolate the dragon from activity they are curious and are a social animal -- cats are not good as well ---- I have cats and all mine are used to my dragons but I never leave them unattended w/ the cats -- EVER !! My tanks are set up in a way that the cats cannot get on top of the tanks nor beside them or any where near the tanks --- so it will be up to you just be warned dogs are a threat or can be a threat to the dragon ---
Karrie

Really good advice. Our dragon, and our dog, are super laid back. Cece, my dragon, likes to climb on the dog when she's laying down. They are always closely supervised (I'm a helicopter mom). My cat doesn't notice the dragon much and instead prefers to cuddle up with my red foot tortoise. I modified the top of my dragon's cage to make sure the cat can't get in there in case her opinion changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom