Healthy Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I’ve been putting up so many posts XD. Is Yoshi a good weight? We have had Yoshi for about 14 months now! :D
107275-6436193576.jpg
It says 130 grams.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Yoshi looks good + healthy and to top it off he's also handsome. :) Are you positive of Yoshi's gender ? There are owners that pop up here every few weeks it seems that are surprised when they discover their male dragon is actually female. If you're not positive , post a couple pics with tail arched up like in this article :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

So you say that Yoshi is 14 months or so ? At that age they are usually full size or very near it so Yoshi has had a slow start. What are you feeding him and how often ?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
waterlilie32":2vn36boh said:
Sorry I’ve been putting up so many posts XD. Is Yoshi a good weight? We have had Yoshi for about 14 months now! :D
It says 130 grams.
Healthy is relative. He doesn't look over or under fed, so he looks "healthy", but--by weight--seems small for 14 months. For example...
Growth Charts
Growth Chart
My own is less than 6 months, and weighs 230g @ 16"

Yoshi also doesn't appear (to me) to have a typical head of a Pogona Vitticeps at 14+ months. Is it possible you have a Pogona Henrylawsoni (Rankins Dragon) like these? They look similar to me, and might explain the size/weight difference.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's definitely small Mr. Spectrum but I addressed the weight/size at the end of my comment. He's had a slow start for some reason so I asked about the feeding habits. Other than that I mentioned that he looks healthy + has more time to grow. He's a normal p.vitticeps, not a mix and 100 % not a Rankin's. They top out at 11" as adults.

waterlilie32

Original Poster
AHBD":3j3je2na said:
Hi there, Yoshi looks good + healthy and to top it off he's also handsome. :) Are you positive of Yoshi's gender ? There are owners that pop up here every few weeks it seems that are surprised when they discover their male dragon is actually female. If you're not positive , post a couple pics with tail arched up like in this article :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

So you say that Yoshi is 14 months or so ? At that age they are usually full size or very near it so Yoshi has had a slow start. What are you feeding him and how often ?

We aren’t positive, here are some photos
[ximg]107275 682222005[/ximg]
[ximg]107275 5181071172[/ximg]
Yes about 14 months we have had him. We just got 100 dubia roaches he is starting to eat like 6 a day, we have had them for 2 days. Before them he ate mostly crickets and sometimes silkworm pupae, wax and meal worms. For salads the greens varied sometimes mustard, endive, carrot tops, and collard greens. Along with veggies and some fruit. I put a bowl of food so he can eat them whenever. When we first got him he didn’t eat that much as he probably should of so that’s probably why.

waterlilie32

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":shot9gjk said:
waterlilie32":shot9gjk said:
It says 130 grams.
Healthy is relative. He doesn't look over or under fed, so he looks "healthy", but--by weight--seems small for 14 months. For example...
Growth Charts
Growth Chart
My own is less than 6 months, and weighs 230g @ 16"

Yoshi also doesn't appear (to me) to have a typical head of a Pogona Vitticeps at 14+ months. Is it possible you have a Pogona Henrylawsoni (Rankins Dragon) like these? They look similar to me, and might explain the size/weight difference.

We got Yoshi sadly from a Petsmart :cry: I know it’s bad and he was labeled as fancy bearded dragon I believe. So I don’t think he is that special. :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those pics are too dark so , get some light back there . Just normal room lighting but coming from behind you so his vent area is clearly visible.
And don't apologize for where you got him, it's no one else's business but yours as to where you got him/her and quite a few people got theirs at a pet store.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
waterlilie32":1hu5slcf said:
We got Yoshi sadly from a Petsmart :cry: I know it’s bad and he was labeled as fancy bearded dragon I believe. So I don’t think he is that special. :lol:
Big Box/Chain dragons aren't automatically/necessarily bad or defective. The thing is, those stores are generally very protective of their sources/breeders, so there's just no way to tell--and no way to ask questions or get answers--about their histories/breeding/health. There may be something wrong, or they may be perfect! So don't beat yourself up over it; despite how much research we do beforehand, we just don't know what we don't know. Nobody does. :wink:

I was tempted a few times to get a dragon from a new chain pet store that opened near me (within 10 miles) 'cuz some of them (also labeled "fancy") were so darn cute (even though what I really wanted was as near to "wild-looking" as I could get. But I did have a schedule and process, and that meant cooling my jets--not easy for everyone. :wink:

Before my first response, I went through all 24 of your previous posts looking for a history of your pet, but didn't find much, hence my question about the possibility of him being a Rankin (and there's nothing wrong with that either; it's still a bearded dragon--just a different species). 8) Looking at the size & shape of his head, and pictures of Rankins, it looked like a possibility, and like I said previously, could explain some things. Again, with a chain store dragon, there's no way to tell if perhaps the breeder had one or two Rankins they couldn't sell, and put them in with the chain order (just speculating here).

In the end, none of that matters once you've invested yourself, and bonded with a pet. I wanted a "wild-looking" dragon, but had to settle for one with morphs, because all of the breeders on my list--and at the shows I was going to--were breeding "designer" dragons. So I got the most wild-looking I could find (and the one of the show that struck my eye). :lol:

I'll say this about him... he's got the attitude & personality of a wild dragon! :lol:

waterlilie32

Original Poster
AHBD":14sf75i1 said:
Those pics are too dark so , get some light back there . Just normal room lighting but coming from behind you so his vent area is clearly visible.
And don't apologize for where you got him, it's no one else's business but yours as to where you got him/her and quite a few people got theirs at a pet store.

Are these photos better? Sorry the other ones were taken last night.
107275-1676047487.jpg
107275-3411908099.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom