Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
KarrieRee":3pjcfywu said:
I am assuming silkies use a UVB like regular dragons --
Karrie
Karrie, due to silkbacks extreme genetic skin mutation, they are much more susceptible for damage from UV and from heat. They need lower levels of UV than regular dragons.

It looks like you have a dual dome fixture. So I assume you have the basking (heat) bulb in one, and a UVB producing bulb (coil/compact/etc..) in the other. Correct?

Eitherway, I don't think the UV situation has anything to do with your issue at hand. No pun intended. You need to lower your temps for sure. I don't think that caused the issue either, but it could have contributed.

Silkies are also much more susceptible to dehydration, and when the skin and body are dehydrated, it cracks and breaks even easier. Have you tried the honey I've mentioned? How are things going?

I don't really see anything too rough in your tank. So it could just be from shedding complications. I would definitely do some research into Silkie care and figure out what other silkie owners are using on the skin. I haven't been around anyone with a silkie in a long time, they really fell out of favor due to all of their health issues.
But for now, I would definitely be using the raw unpasturized honey on the hand to help it heal and prevent infection.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ok I knew someone on here would intervene and thats good --- so w/ that being said
NEVER MIND
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that basking temp. is way too hot. Mine basked at around 90 F. I also aree that hone would be good on that area, pretty much the best thing you could use. I did not bathe my silkie very often, bathing actually dries their skin out more. I applied 100 % natural allow with NO additives to him about once a week or so, more on areas that were having a hard time shedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom