camera kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Continuation from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=237357&p=1823629&hilit=camera+kit#p1823629
Love the Canon ELPH 180 as a handy point and shoot, resolution is nice at 20MPix too. So much so it now lives handy on the coffee table.

Well , went to take a photo of those black cockatoos with my long lens ( Tamron 300 f2.8 Ad2all ) on a tripod on my venerable old 40D , discovered the 40D has died , tried recharging the batteries and putting a fully charged battery in - no joy, tried replacing the cr2016 clock battery - no joy.
Been stored in it's camera bag with the big battery removed and as far as I know it's never been dropped but died it has .

So I went a hunting for a quote to repair it, Canon say they no longer carry spare parts for the 40D - bummer but are willing to take a look in case it's a simple easily fixed internal issue or it's lost it's "brains" / programming ( what there's a internal on card battery in there somewhere ??? ). Reckoned at least $250 just to look ( with no guarantee they can fix it !).

Decided to set it aside for now and look for a replacement and scored a 50D with a Sigma 18-200 macro zoom for $350 on Ebay .
The 50D will keep me out of trouble til I bite the bullet and invest in the 90D body or an 8D body when it's released.
Rumour is the 8D is soon to be released and will boast a ~70MP ( 35mm chip ?) !!!
The new 90D is not too shabby though with reticulated screen and 32.5MP and FHD video capacity.

The increase in megapixcels from 10MP to 15MP is a nice step up. All my camera accessories for the 40D fit the 50D.
Will be a good full spectrum astrocamera when I convert it after I buy the new DSLR .

Plus my 40D's batteries fit the 50D , a big plus as I had 4 batteries !! I now have 6 batteries (very handy for travelling and for long nights of astro-imaging, and it came with a reformatted 16GB memory card which will be good to have too in addition to my old 8GB card). I like being able to use stuff for my old camera with the replacement ( means I get good value and don't need to buy a bunch of new batteries etc ).

Spent a few hours thoroughly testing the 50D and the 18-200 macro zoom lens and all seems good.

The Sigma DC 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 HSM MACRO Zoom has a very handly range of focal lengths for travel and social events and herping / animal photography , not as fast as the Sigma APO HSM 50-150mm f/2.8 or the Tamron 70-180mm LD f/2.8 AD2all , but better than the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom that came with 40D.
The 18-200mm zoom will pair nicely with my Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT Flash.
https://www.teds.com.au/canon-speedlite-600-ex-ii-rt?gclid=CjwKCAiA7t3yBRADEiwA4GFlI6bMcWaWRptS2adm8zRPt3Iw7LltK4N8HCiqafDF7z53pb2R3VpFHRoCVXQQAvD_BwE which has Zoom Focal Length = 20-200mm .

The tech report
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigma-18-200-3p5-6p3-os-n15
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-200mm-f-3.5-6.3-DC-Macro-OS-HSM-Lens.aspx

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's useful that the accessories will fit the new camera. I just picked up a Pentax KP which accepts a M42 screw mount adapter so I can use my old Takumar lenses from my Spotmatic. I love using my Takumar 300mm prime for birds. Lenses are manual but I'm used to shooting that way so it's not a problem. Still prefer shooting on 35mm Kodak film but it has become a big hassle to get developed after the closure of the local camera shop. Looking forward to seeing photos from your new 50D. Do you have an astro tracking tripod for it?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":16yh7e5r said:
It's useful that the accessories will fit the new camera. I just picked up a Pentax KP which accepts a M42 screw mount adapter so I can use my old Takumar lenses from my Spotmatic. I love using my Takumar 300mm prime for birds. Lenses are manual but I'm used to shooting that way so it's not a problem. Still prefer shooting on 35mm Kodak film but it has become a big hassle to get developed after the closure of the local camera shop. Looking forward to seeing photos from your new 50D. Do you have an astro tracking tripod for it?

Yes
I love film too. I still have my first camera ( a Minolta XD5 ) that I break out occasionally.
Even dabbled in processing my own film at one stage.

I also like manual lenses too, have a few PRIME TAMRON AD2all lenses , all bought secondhand on Ebay , have a set of adapters for these ( Canon EOS , Nikkor , OLY , MD ) .
Also have some screw fit telephotos + EOS adapters , a Soligor PRIMES ( 135 f/2 with Nikkor fitting + EOS - Nikkor adapter , a very nice lens only has a little CA as no LD glass in it ) ,and a very nice Nikkor AIS 180 f/2.8 .

Yes I have several equatorial mounts :
> a EQ1 that I can toss in camera bag with RA drive (very simple very compact , all I need is table as it has the table top shorty legs.
> a Celestron NON GOTO CG5 that has dual axis drives , that I've converted to accept ST1 type autoguider signals ( all I need do is aim the camera (telescope & Autoguider ) at a guide star , acquire it and lock on , and the Dell 10N laptop controls the RA and DEC motors to keep the guidestar tracked perfectly (no manual guiding needed ) = my sky patrol / wide angle astroimaging setup.
> a Vixen NEW ATLUX mount with Starbook control system , with this ( have full high precision high speed GOTO slewing and very high precision tracking capacity and can program to track comets as well as stars which is perfect for my 10" f4 home built carbon fibre astrograph ).

My Atlux & 10" astrograph will soon be permanently installed on a steel pillar in a roll on roll off roof observatory , so all I'll need to do is roll off the roof and point the telescope , the sky patrol set up will also be permanently setup in the observatory .
I might yet convert my 10" carbon fibre astrograph from f4 to f2.8 eventually , and have my old 10" home made f4.7 Newtonian on a custom made plywood dob mount for looksees and viewing planets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom