UVB distance from animal or surface

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

UVB distance from animal or surface

Postby Rubble1212 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:50 pm

Is the recommended distance for uvb like reptisun or megaray from the beardies back or from the basking surface.
Rubble1212
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: UVB distance from animal or surface

Postby Claudiusx » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 pm

To make it simple we typically say to surface. But technically speaking, if you want to know the UVI level your dragon is exposing itself to, you'd measure bulb to body.

However, it's not really that big of a difference, unless you have daddylonglegs the beardie :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby Rubble1212 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:53 pm

Thank you
Rubble1212
Hatchling Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:00 am

IDK. :dontknow: Z's basking surface (T5 10.0) is 9" from the bulb. The UVI @ surface is 3.0. One inch higher--the average height of his back while lying on his belly basking--the UVI is 3.5.

I should know whether UVI values are geometric, algebraic, or logarithmic, but I don't. I know they are what they are, and AFAIK, should fall between 3.0 and 4.0 for BDs. (Please correct me if wrong.)

I would also think that UVI zones with a T8 would be condensed somewhat (more so/less so with other types of UVB bulbs), but perhaps not enough to get pedantic about (as I am wont to do :roll: ).
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures