Live Feeders on Vacation

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Live Feeders on Vacation

Postby lincolnsmom » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:05 pm

I am going on a brief vacation for 3-4 days and my bearded dragon will be in the care of someone else. My beardie usually eats live feeder crickets, dubia roaches, and/or super worms (along with her salad) every day. Is it okay for my beardie-sitter to feed her freeze-dried crickets for the few days I am away? Obviously this isn't ideal but it would be in addition to her normal salad. Thanks!
lincolnsmom
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Live Feeders on Vacation

Postby xAnaBooo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:55 pm

You could feed it something like Repashy's Beardie Buffet. Easy to make; pour some in boiling water and put it on a feed dish. Keep it in the fridge :)
xAnaBooo
Hatchling Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:32 pm

lincolnsmom wrote:I am going on a brief vacation for 3-4 days and my bearded dragon will be in the care of someone else. My beardie usually eats live feeder crickets, dubia roaches, and/or super worms (along with her salad) every day. Is it okay for my beardie-sitter to feed her freeze-dried crickets for the few days I am away? Obviously this isn't ideal but it would be in addition to her normal salad. Thanks!

How old is your dragon?

You can feed her freeze-dried; that doesn't mean she'll eat freeze-dried (unless you already know she will). If she's an adult, for a few days it'll be fine either way. If a baby/juvie, she should have some protein every day while she's growing. Any chance of leaving some feeders with instructions?
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby lincolnsmom » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 pm

xAnaBooo wrote:You could feed it something like Repashy's Beardie Buffet. Easy to make; pour some in boiling water and put it on a feed dish. Keep it in the fridge :)

Good idea, thanks!!
lincolnsmom
Newbie Poster

Postby lincolnsmom » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:
lincolnsmom wrote:I am going on a brief vacation for 3-4 days and my bearded dragon will be in the care of someone else. My beardie usually eats live feeder crickets, dubia roaches, and/or super worms (along with her salad) every day. Is it okay for my beardie-sitter to feed her freeze-dried crickets for the few days I am away? Obviously this isn't ideal but it would be in addition to her normal salad. Thanks!

How old is your dragon?

You can feed her freeze-dried; that doesn't mean she'll eat freeze-dried (unless you already know she will). If she's an adult, for a few days it'll be fine either way. If a baby/juvie, she should have some protein every day while she's growing. Any chance of leaving some feeders with instructions?

Unfortunately, my sitter is scared of live bugs (lol) but my dragon is about 2 years old and readily eats freeze dried when I run out for a day. I was a little worried about leaving her with just freeze dried for more than a day, but these replies have me feeling a lot more confident. Thanks!
lincolnsmom
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:35 am

A 2 year old can (and should) easily go a few days without bugs. If you leave a fresh salad it should be plenty. If your sitter can replenish the salad and clean the enclosure, it's a bonus.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding