Yellow mouth--is it mouth rot??

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Yellow mouth--is it mouth rot??

Postby bepbep » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi!

Fancy is a 1.5 yr old bearded dragon. While she was basking with her mouth open today, I noticed that her gums and throat appeared more yellow than normal. I also noticed a small collection of bubbly saliva at the very back of her throat. She is still eating and breathing normally, but she is slightly less active, but I am unsure if that is related to possible brumation (she has never brumated in the past) or if it's related to the yellow mouth.

(side note: I was pulling very gently on her beard in these photos and she did not seem to mind at all)

bepbep
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Yellow mouth--is it mouth rot??

Postby Drache613 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:35 am

Hello,

That isn't mouth rot, the mouth & gums look healthy.
It is genetics left from P. barbata genus that some dragons have, but not all. It is a pigment
which was originally in most wild dragons & used as a defense in the wild. You could look up
some pictures of wild bearded dragons with "big yellow mouths" LOL
The saliva is pretty normal, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
You mentioned he is eating & drinking normally?

Tracie
Drache613

Re: Yellow mouth--is it mouth rot??

Postby bepbep » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Thank you so much, Tracie!! Fancy is my first beardie and she means the world to me. She is eating normally and drinking normally, but has been spending a little more time in her cave than normal.
bepbep
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER