trying to draw JIMMIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
I’m trying to draw Mr JIMMIA because I miss him so much :( :) so what do you think so far ? has anyone ever drew a bearded dragon before ? how would you do the beard ? please and what else should I add ? haha :)
98861-2565129842.jpg
98861-5549929677.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
JIMMIA":mv1ck5xt said:
has anyone ever drew a bearded dragon before ?
I have not (yet) but you might find some tips/inspiration here and here.

Danielle Dufault, who hosts & illustrates for YT channel Animalogic has also drawn one for her video, Bearded Dragon: The King of Chill

While searching for an image for a project, I came across this one, which I particularly liked, but as the artist is trying to sell it commercially, I won't post/use it w/o permission.
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/bearded-dragon-regan-dohm.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Looks good -- I am a terrible artist so I would never even try
Karrie

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am no artist, this my very first attempt of drawing a beardie :) What do you honestly think ? please :)
98861-149759390.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
JIMMIA":1gx3nr18 said:
I am no artist, this my very first attempt of drawing a beardie :) What do you honestly think ? please :)
98861-149759390.jpg
That's Really good for a first time! the scales are pretty good! The proportions are also good. :D

I Drew my dude Loki a few weeks ago. View media item 60752How I did the beard was that I just shaded the beard areas lightly with about a medium tone and then lifted up some highlights with a kneaded eraser and then with darker lines (gently putting more pressure with the pencil) I started adding the scales individually and building up the darkest areas. With practice and time you'll get better. :)

My tips would be to add some shading and highlights to the drawing to make it pop and look more realistic, you've got this!! :blob8:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I saw a program not so long ago about how the great artists of the C17th did very accurate portraits.
Involved setting up a glass window with a mesh drawn on it. and projecting a pin-point (obscura) image against the smooth substrate .

Artists in the Renaissance era sometimes used a device called a camera obscura enclosure to gain perspective in their art work. In his writings, Leonardo Da Vinci gives clear descriptions of the projection of an image through a pinhole .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

If you have camera , you can take a photo and then produce a transparency, project this against the paper you plan to produce the sketch or watercolour on , and this way you can get every detail down perfectly . This is how I'd do it I was were artistically inclined ( and the approach I used sometimes when I was in high school and taking compulsory ART class in year 7 & 8 ) , was a very good "drawer" in my day but turned my drawing skills to technical drawing and later structural and process design (by hand) in my formative years ( years 9 to 10 , then when I returned to uni to do my second double degree in ChemEng + Physics).

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I always did better drawing from a photo than from life--2D to 2D rather than trying to draw 3D to 2D.
(Yes, even with one eye closed, which I often tried.) I later went technical too, up until CAD came in in the early '80s. Now my creative expression/outlets are different. ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MrSpectrum":3agsnily said:
I always did better drawing from a photo than from life--2D to 2D rather than trying to draw 3D to 2D.
(Yes, even with one eye closed, which I often tried.) I later went technical too, up until CAD came in in the early '80s. Now my creative expression/outlets are different. ?

Yep, trained up in using AUTOCAD , CHEMCAD , and CADWORx , but by that stage I was a senior engineer and it was my choice to stick with hand-drawing and to delegate the computer aided drawing to my juniors or to a draughtsman.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
kingofnobbys":2hymsbga said:
I saw a program not so long ago about how the great artists of the C17th did very accurate portraits.
Involved setting up a glass window with a mesh drawn on it. and projecting a pin-point (obscura) image against the smooth substrate .

Artists in the Renaissance era sometimes used a device called a camera obscura enclosure to gain perspective in their art work. In his writings, Leonardo Da Vinci gives clear descriptions of the projection of an image through a pinhole .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

If you have camera , you can take a photo and then produce a transparency, project this against the paper you plan to produce the sketch or watercolour on , and this way you can get every detail down perfectly . This is how I'd do it I was were artistically inclined ( and the approach I used sometimes when I was in high school and taking compulsory ART class in year 7 & 8 ) , was a very good "drawer" in my day but turned my drawing skills to technical drawing and later structural and process design (by hand) in my formative years ( years 9 to 10 , then when I returned to uni to do my second double degree in ChemEng + Physics).
Wow. I Should try that sometime. I just look at a photo and draw with my pencil.
MrSpectrum":2hymsbga said:
Oh yes, I am the same way. it's so much easier to just look at a photo and draw, but I have been trying to just look at objects and draw them lately. Like with my Loki drawing I just sat down next to him and drew him. But I should've just used a photo.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow the finished drawing of Jimmia is really nice ! You actually are a good artist, the attention to detail is not something that people usually can do right away. Great job ! Now you have a new hobby I think . :) Maybe a new pic of Immaji in one of his rides. :)

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
JIMMIA":1rg0udtv said:
98861-149759390.jpg
I think you have an enormous amount of patience/dedication to draw all those tiny little scales! :0)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
JumpinJellyfish":3e8asll2 said:
JIMMIA":3e8asll2 said:
98861-149759390.jpg
I think you have an enormous amount of patience/dedication to draw all those tiny little scales! :0)
Definitely, I've been drawing since childhood and to this day Drawing multiple individual little scales is pretty difficult and annoying to do after so long for me, it takes a lot of patience.

AHBD":3e8asll2 said:
Wow the finished drawing of Jimmia is really nice ! You actually are a good artist, the attention to detail is not something that people usually can do right away. Great job ! Now you have a new hobby I think . :) Maybe a new pic of Immaji in one of his rides. :)
Honestly I've gotta agree, That's really advanced and well done for a new artist, With practice I think he's going to be a great artist! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom