trying to draw JIMMIA

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

trying to draw JIMMIA

Postby JIMMIA » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:16 pm

I’m trying to draw Mr JIMMIA because I miss him so much :( :) so what do you think so far ? has anyone ever drew a bearded dragon before ? how would you do the beard ? please and what else should I add ? haha :) [Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
JIMMIA
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: trying to draw JIMMIA

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:58 am

JIMMIA wrote:has anyone ever drew a bearded dragon before ?

I have not (yet) but you might find some tips/inspiration here and here.

Danielle Dufault, who hosts & illustrates for YT channel Animalogic has also drawn one for her video, Bearded Dragon: The King of Chill

While searching for an image for a project, I came across this one, which I particularly liked, but as the artist is trying to sell it commercially, I won't post/use it w/o permission.
https://images.fineartamerica.com/image ... n-dohm.jpg
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:27 am

Looks good -- I am a terrible artist so I would never even try
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby JIMMIA » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 pm

I am no artist, this my very first attempt of drawing a beardie :) What do you honestly think ? please :) [Click image to enlarge]
JIMMIA
Juvie Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:17 am

JIMMIA wrote:I am no artist, this my very first attempt of drawing a beardie :) What do you honestly think ? please :) [Click image to enlarge]
That's Really good for a first time! the scales are pretty good! The proportions are also good. :D

I Drew my dude Loki a few weeks ago. [Click image to enlarge]

How I did the beard was that I just shaded the beard areas lightly with about a medium tone and then lifted up some highlights with a kneaded eraser and then with darker lines (gently putting more pressure with the pencil) I started adding the scales individually and building up the darkest areas. With practice and time you'll get better. :)

My tips would be to add some shading and highlights to the drawing to make it pop and look more realistic, you've got this!! :blob8:
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, a Ball python, and a community fish tank. (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:18 am

I saw a program not so long ago about how the great artists of the C17th did very accurate portraits.
Involved setting up a glass window with a mesh drawn on it. and projecting a pin-point (obscura) image against the smooth substrate .

Artists in the Renaissance era sometimes used a device called a camera obscura enclosure to gain perspective in their art work. In his writings, Leonardo Da Vinci gives clear descriptions of the projection of an image through a pinhole .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

If you have camera , you can take a photo and then produce a transparency, project this against the paper you plan to produce the sketch or watercolour on , and this way you can get every detail down perfectly . This is how I'd do it I was were artistically inclined ( and the approach I used sometimes when I was in high school and taking compulsory ART class in year 7 & 8 ) , was a very good "drawer" in my day but turned my drawing skills to technical drawing and later structural and process design (by hand) in my formative years ( years 9 to 10 , then when I returned to uni to do my second double degree in ChemEng + Physics).
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby MrSpectrum » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:25 am

I always did better drawing from a photo than from life--2D to 2D rather than trying to draw 3D to 2D.
(Yes, even with one eye closed, which I often tried.) I later went technical too, up until CAD came in in the early '80s. Now my creative expression/outlets are different. 🤔
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:38 am

MrSpectrum wrote:I always did better drawing from a photo than from life--2D to 2D rather than trying to draw 3D to 2D.
(Yes, even with one eye closed, which I often tried.) I later went technical too, up until CAD came in in the early '80s. Now my creative expression/outlets are different. 🤔

Yep, trained up in using AUTOCAD , CHEMCAD , and CADWORx , but by that stage I was a senior engineer and it was my choice to stick with hand-drawing and to delegate the computer aided drawing to my juniors or to a draughtsman.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby HippieLizards » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:03 am

kingofnobbys wrote:I saw a program not so long ago about how the great artists of the C17th did very accurate portraits.
Involved setting up a glass window with a mesh drawn on it. and projecting a pin-point (obscura) image against the smooth substrate .

Artists in the Renaissance era sometimes used a device called a camera obscura enclosure to gain perspective in their art work. In his writings, Leonardo Da Vinci gives clear descriptions of the projection of an image through a pinhole .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

If you have camera , you can take a photo and then produce a transparency, project this against the paper you plan to produce the sketch or watercolour on , and this way you can get every detail down perfectly . This is how I'd do it I was were artistically inclined ( and the approach I used sometimes when I was in high school and taking compulsory ART class in year 7 & 8 ) , was a very good "drawer" in my day but turned my drawing skills to technical drawing and later structural and process design (by hand) in my formative years ( years 9 to 10 , then when I returned to uni to do my second double degree in ChemEng + Physics).

Wow. I Should try that sometime. I just look at a photo and draw with my pencil.
MrSpectrum wrote:I always did better drawing from a photo than from life--2D to 2D rather than trying to draw 3D to 2D.
Oh yes, I am the same way. it's so much easier to just look at a photo and draw, but I have been trying to just look at objects and draw them lately. Like with my Loki drawing I just sat down next to him and drew him. But I should've just used a photo.
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, a Ball python, and a community fish tank. (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby AHBD » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:34 am

Wow the finished drawing of Jimmia is really nice ! You actually are a good artist, the attention to detail is not something that people usually can do right away. Great job ! Now you have a new hobby I think . :) Maybe a new pic of Immaji in one of his rides. :)
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:47 pm

JIMMIA wrote:I am no artist, this my very first attempt of drawing a beardie :) What do you honestly think ? please :) [Click image to enlarge]

I think you have an enormous amount of patience/dedication to draw all those tiny little scales! :0)
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Juvie Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:30 pm

JumpinJellyfish wrote:

I think you have an enormous amount of patience/dedication to draw all those tiny little scales! :0)
Definitely, I've been drawing since childhood and to this day Drawing multiple individual little scales is pretty difficult and annoying to do after so long for me, it takes a lot of patience.

AHBD wrote:Wow the finished drawing of Jimmia is really nice ! You actually are a good artist, the attention to detail is not something that people usually can do right away. Great job ! Now you have a new hobby I think . :) Maybe a new pic of Immaji in one of his rides. :)
Honestly I've gotta agree, That's really advanced and well done for a new artist, With practice I think he's going to be a great artist! :D
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion