This is Petey's house! (Ongoing thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
106785-4049155922.jpg
106785-7732845945.jpg
106785-1263946179.jpg
106785-9536682805.jpg

Yes! He loves his salad!
Menu today: kale, dandelion, zucchini, bell pepper, shredded sweet potato.
YUM (of course he has to eyeball it first to be sure it's up to snuff!)

What's your buddy having today?
-Dee

UPDATE 1/6/20-Decided to make this Petey's ongoing thread rather than starting new posts.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2dfur2z0 said:
Well Dee, we are getting a heat wave this week. Gonna hit the low 80's on thursday.. yuck LOL. I start getting hot when it's over 80 :lol:

How's Petey doing today? How's the back treatn' ya?

-Brandon
I'm the same way, over 78 and I need AC unless I'm working in the yard.
Petey ate next to nothing the last 2 days, both days I put pineapple on his salad. Maybe he's turned off by the smell. Today I went with straight turnip greens and summer squash. He ate 80% plus 6 fat Supers. I think the pineapple was not impressive. Now I know. ?
As for my back, appt tomorrow. They called last Thur because we were expecting icey roads Fri AM, asking if I'd reschedule so they could move morning appts to afternoon. Sure no prob. So I go tomorrow afternoon. Keep fingers crossed!?
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
It's amazing how strong the reaction to food can be. One thing not "right" with salad and dragon won't eat it. On the flip side you'll get a big list started of things Petey really likes to eat. :)

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":5nzcztjm said:
It's amazing how strong the reaction to food can be. One thing not "right" with salad and dragon won't eat it. On the flip side you'll get a big list started of things Petey really likes to eat. :)
I think it's the opposite, I'm getting a big list of things he won't eat! ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I've decided I need tongs. Feeding him his wigglies last night, he kept going for my fingers, he's associating them with food, maybe not a good idea. Lol ? will be putting an Amazon order together. ?
-Dee
Note- I have to leave in an hour, hoping Petey does his biz beforehand so I can clean and he doesnt track it all over before I get home. ?

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Long feeding tongs really are handy. Relatively cheap and worth every penny

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Dee,

How did the appointment go? Hope well.

Hey, having a list of what he doesnt like is helpful too!

I would have been surprised if he liked the pineapple. It's a polarizing food to many creatures lol.

In an article I recently read about BSFL, they made a comment about how they pretty much anything at all. Everything they have tried, the BSFL ate. Except pineapple rinds. Most likely would have avoided the flesh too, but scrap and waste was what the article was referring to.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":353lsh1y said:
Hi Dee,

How did the appointment go? Hope well.

Hey, having a list of what he doesnt like is helpful too!

I would have been surprised if he liked the pineapple. It's a polarizing food to many creatures lol.

In an article I recently read about BSFL, they made a comment about how they pretty much anything at all. Everything they have tried, the BSFL ate. Except pineapple rinds. Most likely would have avoided the flesh too, but scrap and waste was what the article was referring to.

-Brandon
I had read a post from someone talking about how their Dragon loved pineapple and thought I'd try it. No go! Which is fine. Most things he's not interested in, I'll try again in a few weeks to see if he might change his mind. Not even gonna bother with pineapple! It kept him from eating his fave salad stuff, no 2nd chances there!
Dr appt was painful to put it bluntly. Had exam and xrays and waiting on approval from insurance for MRI. Hope to get that done by end of the week. Walking, driving, really causes pain and Dr is 37 miles away. Have been on ice packs and pain meds since I got home. Not too bad now. Petey waited to do his biz till I got home. Yay! Wasn't looking forward to a disaster! For sure! ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi all!
Petey's been a little off his food for the last couple days, and didn't pooh yesterday. Even as regular as he is with eating etc, he does that occasionally. No worries. He might be picking up on my stress level.
Finally got approval for my MRI. Yay! ? Appt Tues. Keep fingers crossed y'all! Have had a tough time doing what has to be done, ie feeding and cleaning up after the zoo. There are things that CANT be avoided and taking care of my babies is #1 priority. I can put off cleaning house, stuff like that but not the zoo! ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yay! Petey more interested in food today and did his biz. Also more active, I think cause his whole tank temp is a little warmer. Warmer house, warmer tank, more active Petey or so I've noticed. He's up on his hide, on his blanket chillin' now.
-Dee

106785-1147344928.jpg

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I got Petey's light timer reset last night. He seemed much happier and active when I got up. I had dropped it and messed up the setting when I was replacing his basking bulb and just now got around to the reset.
I originally had it set for 10am-10pm, thinking 12 hrs is 12 hrs. I don't think thats the case. I've come to the conclusion that ANY 12 hr stretch is not acceptable. I think it needs to be closer to a natural setting, like closer to sunrise and sunset. So now he's on 7am-7pm. I think he prefers being on his schedule as opposed to mine. ?

Would love to hear anyone else's opinion on this.
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
When I was doing my research for lighting there are definitely a few opinions on that.

I try to have her lighting match what is going on outside. Lights on around 7:30am then out at 8:00pm. When it's summer I'll increase her late night time to 9:00pm so she has the effect of a longer summer day. It's a slight compromise because the sun is up earlier in the day then when her lighting comes up, and she is awake a little past when sun goes down. We also have a lot of windows in her room so I assume seeing the color shift from day hues to sunset and night hues must effect her.

Haven't tried any other schedule. Spring/Autumn about 12/12 or 12.5/11.5 Summer about 13.5/10.5 day/night

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":1ot0c2rf said:
When I was doing my research for lighting there are definitely a few opinions on that.

I try to have her lighting match what is going on outside. Lights on around 7:30am then out at 8:00pm. When it's summer I'll increase her late night time to 9:00pm so she has the effect of a longer summer day. It's a slight compromise because the sun is up earlier in the day then when her lighting comes up, and she is awake a little past when sun goes down. We also have a lot of windows in her room so I assume seeing the color shift from day hues to sunset and night hues must effect her.

Haven't tried any other schedule. Spring/Autumn about 12/12 or 12.5/11.5 Summer about 13.5/10.5 day/night

I had also noticed that he was asleep long before lights out. Even now, he's down by 6pm.
Also, since changing his timer, he spends more time in the rest of the tank and chills on his hide, centered between warm and cool. Before he was almost ALWAYS on his hammock under his light. Now he's utilizing the cooler temps which he rarely did before. No clue why this is, just what I'm seeing. For whatever reason he seems more alert and active with the schedule change. Maybe he's just a 'morning' Dragon. ?

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
DragonPete":1ms220eb said:
I had also noticed that he was asleep long before lights out. Even now, he's down by 6pm.
Also, since changing his timer, he spends more time in the rest of the tank and chills on his hide, centered between warm and cool. Before he was almost ALWAYS on his hammock under his light. Now he's utilizing the cooler temps which he rarely did before. No clue why this is, just what I'm seeing. For whatever reason he seems more alert and active with the schedule change. Maybe he's just a 'morning' Dragon. ?
Noticed something similar for my Devlyn. At least 1 hour before lights out she goes to find a spot to sleep. It could even be 3/4 hours before lights out. Mostly she sleeps on the cool side, but sometimes she sets up on the floor of the hot side (in a shady spot). She will be awake but has signs of being tired, moving less, blinking slow, relaxed body. Definitely by 7pm right now she looks tired. If things progress anything like last year she will be more awake until 8pm most nights.

I don't think Devlyn is a morning dragon. Sometimes she wakes up and first thing she goes from a white happy belly to stress lines, lol not a morning dragon. She gets happy again after warming up

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":3aiyhtf8 said:
DragonPete":3aiyhtf8 said:
Noticed something similar for my Devlyn. At least 1 hour before lights out she goes to find a spot to sleep. It could even be 3/4 hours before lights out. Mostly she sleeps on the cool side, but sometimes she sets up on the floor of the hot side (in a shady spot). She will be awake but has signs of being tired, moving less, blinking slow, relaxed body. Definitely by 7pm right now she looks tired. If things progress anything like last year she will be more awake until 8pm most nights.

I don't think Devlyn is a morning dragon. Sometimes she wakes up and first thing she goes from a white happy belly to stress lines, lol not a morning dragon. She gets happy again after warming up
Oh yeah, Petey gets very dark when lights 1st come on until warmed up. Since I'm not up at 7, I don't see it anymore. ? I do find it interesting that I see various changes in his demeaner since the schedule change. He also slept in a different position last night, than what he usually did, although still in his hammock. Because he's only 5-6 feet from my chair in the living room, I check him out a lot, many times during the day and evening. More so lately since I'm not as mobile right now. But with his location, on the breakfast bar between the LR and kitchen, I'm constantly scoping him out. ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi slaves and scaley royalty! ?
Bought a new uvb tube over a week ago and decided against it since its a 5.0 instead of 10.0 T8. Had planned to return it and order online. Really! I had the best of intentions! ?
Decided today that a new 5.0 is better than a 10.0 of unknown age and I suspect long past its useful life. So I went ahead and put it in, not knowing when I'll be able to get back to the pet store and figured it should hold him a few months, after which I hope to have him a new viv along with a T5. I also did a much better job of his foil reflector too, the last one was a little shabby. ? Nice and smooth now. ? Light is about 7 in from his 'spot'.
So much going on right now I didn't want his light weighing on my mind. I think this will be fine for a few months.
He's under his lights and hasn't gone near his dinner yet. He keeps turning and looking at his light. Can he tell it's different? Same fixture, same spot. I have to wonder.?

Wishing everyone a great day and happy dragons! ❤
-Dee

106785-5192264598.jpg
106785-2234996907.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom