Bearded Dragon Diagnosed with MRSA Staph Nasal Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon, Franklin, was diagnosed with a MRSA infection and skin infection mid-December.
He has been on the following antibiotics:
1. Ceftazidime (Once every three days for 3 weeks [Finished Dose in early January])
2. Chloramphenicol (Took 2 doses but had to stop due to bad reaction [His neck swelled; back to normal now])
3. Silver Sulfadiazine Cream (Daily for the last 3.5 months)
4. Pradofloxacin (Every two days since 1/1/2020)
5. Nasal Flush Saline Solution 0.9% with Enrofloxacin and Gentamicin (Daily for the last 3.5 months)

3 weeks ago the vet said that his infection still hadn't cleared in his nostrils, so I decided to treat him for another 4 weeks before taking him back.
As you expect this has cost a fortune and I am running out of money to continue treatment.
I am looking for advice on how I should proceed with this.

He looks healthy; perky, lively, loves to run around. He hasn't been eating much lately, but that could be due to currently being on 3 antibiotics. Overall, he has shown marked improvements since treatment and has looked perfectly healthy since late January/early February.

He is housed in a 4' X 2' X 18" enclosure, constructed out of MDF covered with melamine. Tile substrate that I wash with bleach once a week. (Rinse thoroughly and let air dry for at least 4 hours)
He has a 100w basking bulb and ARCADIA D3 12% UVB T8 BULB (Purchased in January).
Temp on hot side: 91-99F
Humidity: 23%-25%

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Franklin, he's been through the ringer ! So did he have some evidence of infected scales or something that you can show here with pictures ? I know one ting, he's doing pretty well for having been on all those meds., the antibiotics for over a month will really run thenm down and can cause serious health problems. I'd discontinue all but the silver cream. Please post pics of the affected area though.

FranklinTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":227qt220 said:
Poor Franklin, he's been through the ringer ! So did he have some evidence of infected scales or something that you can show here with pictures ? I know one ting, he's doing pretty well for having been on all those meds., the antibiotics for over a month will really run thenm down and can cause serious health problems. I'd discontinue all but the silver cream. Please post pics of the affected area though.

Thanks for the response. What prompted the initial vet visit was he was breathing weird and I heard crackling. When a culture was performed, it showed MSRA staph was presence in his nostril. She wants me to continue the daily nasal flush, Pradofloxacin, and the silver cream. The only reason why I haven't stopped treatment is that it was MRSA staph.
These were before he went to the vet.
106891-807650239.jpg
106891-2465056321.jpg
106891-7570505277.jpg
106891-2289002659.jpg

FranklinTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":10co0zwh said:

I still hear some of the crackling. Granted, I am not sure if it is due to the infection or the daily nasal flushes.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Were the spots on the beard diagnosed as MRSA ? I've seen that on 1-2 of my beardies as well as others on the forum. That's usually nothing of concern. As for the nasal flush, how is it being done ?

FranklinTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":1nuricii said:
Were the spots on the beard diagnosed as MRSA ? I've seen that on 1-2 of my beardies as well as others on the forum. That's usually nothing of concern. As for the nasal flush, how is it being done ?

The MRSA was found in his nose, not on the skin. They wanted to do a skin culture and I refused.
I restrain him at a downward angle, use a tongue suppressor to open his mouth, and someone else runs the lukewarm Saline Solution 0.9% with Enrofloxacin and Gentamicin through each nostril and it comes out of his mouth.

FranklinTheBeardie

Original Poster
To put it bluntly, I am just trying to figure out:
1. If the vet is either a quack/a scammer. She's been good in the past, but this whole situation has been upsetting.
2. Should I continue going to the vet about this? This whole ordeal has been so expensive that I can't afford to get a second opinion.
3. Should I cease all of the medications that I am giving him because the MRSA either was never in his system to begin with or it should be cured by now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, good on you guys for mastering the technique and for your good boy Frankiln for putting up with it. One thing to consider , over use of antibiotics can actually promote MRSA. Here is a treatment [ using raw honey ] that has been used for chronic sinusitis + MRSA . I wonder if you could mix some raw honey and saline to do the same type of flush.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20080922/humble-honey-kills-bacteria

The other option is to stop the treatment to see if Franklin stays the same or if his breathing actually improves. THEN you can try the honey mixture.

FranklinTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":1i1xgln5 said:
Wow, good on you guys for mastering the technique and for your good boy Frankiln for putting up with it. One thing to consider , over use of antibiotics can actually promote MRSA. Here is a treatment [ using raw honey ] that has been used for chronic sinusitis + MRSA . I wonder if you could mix some raw honey and saline to do the same type of flush.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20080922/humble-honey-kills-bacteria

The other option is to stop the treatment to see if Franklin stays the same or if his breathing actually improves. THEN you can try the honey mixture.
He doesn't put up with it very well. He constantly tries to wrestle out of my grasp. Perhaps that is why he has gotten stronger over the last few months, haha.

I will be sure to look into that. He is on Veraflox, which is specifically designed to fight strains of Pasteurella multocida, Streptococcus canis, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus felis and Staphylococcus pseudintermedius.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow your poor boy, he has been through it for sure! I am sure surprised at how well he is
doing & how good he looks, considering all of the long term medications.
I can't believe he got that type of infection. It isn't terribly common, but does happen. Do
you know how he contracted that?
I agree with AHBD, raw honey is what I would suggest also, definitely. It is amazing for help
with all types of infections. Colloidal silvers are very good as well for infections.
It sounds like he has a lot of fight in him too. I hope he starts eating better also.
I can't blame you for wanting to get him off of the antibiotics now, bless him!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Keep in mind that MRSA can exist in nostrils of people and animals and not cause any problems at all, so treatment may not be necessary unless there is a problem that can be tied to it. A month of antibiotics is pretty rough and it's possibly doing more harm than good in this case.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree , that's just way too long on these powerful meds. The vet is making a ton of money, I don't know if they are sincere in this treatment or milking it.

FranklinTheBeardie

Original Poster
Update:
I took Franklin off of the medication around 2/27.

Since then he has been very active and his appetite has been very good. He likes to run around the house and cause problems. (He started eating cat hair so I had to vacuum the entire house for it)

No signs of any respiratory distress.

However, over the last week, the outside of his nose has had a red hue to it. Images are attached below.

Should I be worried?

full

full

full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom