Yellow mouth--is it mouth rot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bepbep

Hi!

Fancy is a 1.5 yr old bearded dragon. While she was basking with her mouth open today, I noticed that her gums and throat appeared more yellow than normal. I also noticed a small collection of bubbly saliva at the very back of her throat. She is still eating and breathing normally, but she is slightly less active, but I am unsure if that is related to possible brumation (she has never brumated in the past) or if it's related to the yellow mouth.

(side note: I was pulling very gently on her beard in these photos and she did not seem to mind at all)

full

full

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That isn't mouth rot, the mouth & gums look healthy.
It is genetics left from P. barbata genus that some dragons have, but not all. It is a pigment
which was originally in most wild dragons & used as a defense in the wild. You could look up
some pictures of wild bearded dragons with "big yellow mouths" LOL
The saliva is pretty normal, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
You mentioned he is eating & drinking normally?

Tracie

bepbep

Original Poster
Thank you so much, Tracie!! Fancy is my first beardie and she means the world to me. She is eating normally and drinking normally, but has been spending a little more time in her cave than normal.

Drache613":2qw4spi8 said:
Hello,

It is genetics left from P. barbata genus that some dragons have, but not all. It is a pigment
which was originally in most wild dragons & used as a defense in the wild. You could look up

Tracie
I'm sorry but I do not agree! That beardie clearly looks unwell! That is mouth rot!

Heatherrae1111":382rxpem said:
Drache613":382rxpem said:
Hello,

Tracie
I'm sorry but I do not agree! That beardie clearly looks unwell! That is mouth rot!
Heatherrae1111":382rxpem said:
Hello,

Tracie
Hello,

Tracie
I cannot believe you would tell someone that and claim to be so sure when that beardie could die if your wrong! The lower mouth is drooping and it's eyes are sunken in like it's dehydrated! I have two beardies and they are 11 yrs and 6 yrs old. My male got that once started at the teeth! To the owner hun I would not risk that I would take her to be seen my opinion.

Drache613":1s91lnfs said:
Hello,

Tracie
You might want to get some clear Pedialyte for babies and give her a little at a time with syringe every hour for the next couple days along with baths. If it isn't eating buy baby food mine love sweet potatoes and squash also pumpkin. Are you giving calcium and vitamins? What about lights do you have a hood T5 or T8?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Heatherrae1111":1oqho7zg said:
I cannot believe you would tell someone that and claim to be so sure when that beardie could die if your wrong! The lower mouth is drooping and it's eyes are sunken in like it's dehydrated! I have two beardies and they are 11 yrs and 6 yrs old. My male got that once started at the teeth! To the owner hun I would not risk that I would take her to be seen my opinion.
This thread is a year old, I doubt any suggestions on what to do are going to be beneficial to the dragon or the owner. And since we never heard anything back, I think it's safe to assume it was just yellow coloring, which is very common in bearded dragon mouths.

While mouth rot often does include yellow areas in the mouth, it is not the sole symptom at all.

I agree with Tracie, that isn't mouth rot.

Thread locked

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom