Dragon safe plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBeck

Has anyone grown any types of plants in their Dragon enclosure? I like the idea of something in there. I realize it will probably get torn up, and I'll have a mess to clean up. Maybe there's a chance she'll leave it alone. :roll:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, I currently have about 20 live plants, including a basil forest (6). Except for the basil, all other plants are succulents (no cacti) and/or Tillandsia (air plants).
Pics can be found here: Enclosure Design Considerations (pages 4 & 5) and here: Striking a Pose...

Most of the damage comes from his climbing & stomping around on top of and over the plants (he seems to like playing, "The Floor is Lava!") :lol: He's tasted everything, and nibbled a bit, but hasn't chowed down on anything or ripped any out by their roots.

All the plant species I chose are cross-referenced from multiple lists
bearded dragon safe plants
succulents safe for bearded dragons

McBeck

Original Poster
This is great, thanks! I really want to make the enclosure a home if that makes sense. I think the idea of random plants to nibble and hidey spots for her to go in should keep stress or boredom to a minimum.
I have been blessed with a very friendly, confident Dragon. She's a good eater(except for veggies, working on that) she ate crickets out of my fingers this morning. So far the experience of owning Beardie has been fantastic. She gets her 1st wellness visit at the Vets today. She's even kept a good appetite while starting a new shed on her head and body. I will be looking into some plants!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
McBeck":33712r29 said:
This is great, thanks! I really want to make the enclosure a home if that makes sense. I think the idea of random plants to nibble and hidey spots for her to go in should keep stress or boredom to a minimum.
Occasionally rearranging things in the enclosure can also help reduce boredom, giving her new chances to "explore". That's why I used individual planters/pots instead of permanently embedding them into the decor. :wink: It also makes replacement easier.

You will have to monitor enclosure humidity, which is one reason I chose arid plants/succulents--they don't aspirate much. I also covered soil with river pebbles (from a dollar store) to reduce frequency of watering & evaporation into the enclosure. My RH actually got too low, but the basil forest rectified that--it aspirates more than succulents. Other herbs are good choices too. :wink:

McBeck

Original Poster
Nice set up. Beautiful Dragon! I have a feeling my little guy is going to look a lot like yours. Mine is very orange/Terra cotta colored with Blue, gray, green colored, elongated spots. I will probably do some plant shopping this weekend. I'll do like you have, put stones in it to keep moisture intact.
Don't care if they get trampled, as long as she finds it interesting.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
McBeck":1j8bque7 said:
I'll do like you have, put stones in it to keep moisture intact.
When you find/buy and utilize the pebbles, pay special attention to size. They will taste the stones, and like young children, we don't want choking (or impaction) hazards. Also, as your dragon grows, the size of a hazardous pebble will increase--go large. :wink:

Avoid the "black" pebbles. They look cool, but they're painted with something, and then coated with something else (wax?) I have no idea if those coatings could be toxic. A lot of that stuff comes from China, and they're intended for decorative purposes--not pet decor. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom