Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling off

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling off

Postby Gcapriotti7 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Im sorry, this post isnt about my beardie but about a Uromastyx i purchased recently. Its an emergency however and i cant find uro forums anywhere. My uromastyx has scales on his stomach that are green and appear to be shriveled up or decaying, he has scales falling off around his right eye(not shed, bare skin underneath) and his back has black lumps which appear to be scars but could possibly be rot. I purchased the uro 3 days ago and haven't noticed it since he has been stressed from the move to his new enclosure. Now that he is less stressed and his colour has lightened i noticed it. Will follow up with photos. Im concerened that if he is suffering from a disease that it may be contagious and spread to my beardie since i live in a studio and cannot properly quarantine the uro. Please help!
Gcapriotti7
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Gormagon » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:23 pm

I hope they are not housed together.
Sounds like he might have been in a high moisture environment before you got him. I don't know a lot about them but I did think about getting one at one time so, I read up on them.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
User avatar
Gormagon
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 3313
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Gcapriotti7 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:25 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
These are the scales on his stomach, notice the greenish scales.
Gcapriotti7
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Gcapriotti7 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:28 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
This is the right side of its face, notice underneath the eye how there is a deep groove without scales.
[Click image to enlarge]
This is the left side of his face, this side is perfectly fine with no grooves or missing scales
[Click image to enlarge]
This is a top view showing the scales coming off on the right side
Gcapriotti7
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Gcapriotti7 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:30 pm

Gormagon wrote:I hope they are not housed together.
Sounds like he might have been in a high moisture environment before you got him. I don't know a lot about them but I did think about getting one at one time so, I read up on them.

They are not. My beardie is quite large and in a 125 gallon viv. The Uro is across the room in a 55 gallon viv. The husbandry is slightly different for the different animals and beardies are known to be aggressive to other lizards so i would never consider housing them together. I am concerned about the proximity
Gcapriotti7
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Drache613 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:41 am

Hello,

I agree, while I don't know a whole lot on Uro's, I do know some basics. It appears to me that
he was most likely kept in a humid environment & may have some fungal issues. It doesn't look
like yellow fungus, but a general fungus.
The eye area could be shedding problems too. It could also be some scarring from bad sheds in
the past. I realize that it definitely isn't your fault since you just got him which makes it hard to get
it straightened out. Reptile skin takes time to heal.
Do you have any raw honey you could try putting on those areas, especially around the eye? You
can use a swab & thin the honey out a little bit with warm water & dab it on those areas. You could
be proactive with the suspicious looking areas on his tummy & use some anti-fungal cream on it.
A couple of general use ones would be lamisil or monistat & they are easy to find at either a drug
store or walmart.
Is he interested in eating?

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 39493
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Gcapriotti7 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:07 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

I agree, while I don't know a whole lot on Uro's, I do know some basics. It appears to me that
he was most likely kept in a humid environment & may have some fungal issues. It doesn't look
like yellow fungus, but a general fungus.
The eye area could be shedding problems too. It could also be some scarring from bad sheds in
the past. I realize that it definitely isn't your fault since you just got him which makes it hard to get
it straightened out. Reptile skin takes time to heal.
Do you have any raw honey you could try putting on those areas, especially around the eye? You
can use a swab & thin the honey out a little bit with warm water & dab it on those areas. You could
be proactive with the suspicious looking areas on his tummy & use some anti-fungal cream on it.
A couple of general use ones would be lamisil or monistat & they are easy to find at either a drug
store or walmart.
Is he interested in eating?

Tracie

Yes i put honey on him already in the affected areas. He still eats and poops notmally and is very hyper (somewhat unusual for uros) thank you for the info. I assumed it was likely a fungal infection. Ill go buy some lamisil right away.
Gcapriotti7
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby AHBD » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:06 am

Hi there, nothing there looks serious and by his activity level it seems like he's doing fine for the most part. Honey on the eye is a good idea. Can you post pics of + describe the set up ? Do you have a basking spot of about 120 F with a gradient thru the tank of 80 -100 ? Proper temps. + substrate are imperative for good health.
Oh, and can you post what you say are the black lumps on his back ?
AHBD
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 23902
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 am

Hi,

I'm very familiar with uro husbandry, I used to own one myself.

I would definitely try treating the stomach issue, I would probably try lamisil first but you can definitely use the honey if that's more convenient for you.

Can you post pics of his setup and go into details on the temps?
He most likely was just house improperly before. Would like to see the back issue you speak of though.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 18043
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:25 am

Oh, and I wouldnt worry about your beardie getting anything from being in the same room. If you're concerned at all, it's good to wash hands or sanitize hands in between handling the two and their enclosures.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 18043
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Gcapriotti7 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 pm

He is at 125°F on his basking spot(all temps are surface temperature) the hot side is about 110°F with a gradient down to 90°F on the cool side. The temperature in his burrow is about 80°F. Night temps are about 80-85°F(low wattage overhead ceramic heat emmitter used at night to regulate temperature), humidity ranges between 30-35% on the surface and maintains 35% in the burrow. The substrate is millet (6" deep)and river stones (too big to eat but too small to crush him if he gets under one and no sharp edges). There are two 18" 15.0 UV fixtures and one 12" 15.0 UV fixture across the center of the viv 12" from the surface of the substrate. There is a 150w basking bulb and 100W daylight bulb on the hot side during the day, and a 50W heat emmitter on a theromostat at night. His diet consists of butternut sqash, millet, arugula, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, pumpkin, prickly pear, apple, and assorted dried flowers.

I am treating his stomach with lamisil at the moment. The lumps on his back look like scars from rot or puncture wounds.

Thank you for your help
claudiusx wrote:Hi,

I'm very familiar with uro husbandry, I used to own one myself.

I would definitely try treating the stomach issue, I would probably try lamisil first but you can definitely use the honey if that's more convenient for you.

Can you post pics of his setup and go into details on the temps?
He most likely was just house improperly before. Would like to see the back issue you speak of though.

-Brandon
Gcapriotti7
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:57 pm

Ok all sounds good. Keep us updated on his progress. Hopefully the lamisil starts doing some good.

How big is he by the way?

Hopefully the bumps are healed up then on his back. Would still be interested in seeing them if you get a chance.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 18043
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Help! Scales on stomach turning green and scales falling

Postby Gcapriotti7 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:01 pm

He's about 4 inches long and too young to even truly identify his gender. I'll get some photos of his back when i get home today.
claudiusx wrote:Ok all sounds good. Keep us updated on his progress. Hopefully the lamisil starts doing some good.

How big is he by the way?

Hopefully the bumps are healed up then on his back. Would still be interested in seeing them if you get a chance.

-Brandon
Gcapriotti7
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Puffdragonmom