Bearded Dragon Post-Treatment Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccousins

Hi,

My bearded dragon was recently treated for a slight-high level of parasite.

The treatment was successful and has left his system.

Unfortunately, he has behaved pretty erratic ever since.

He isn't really eating and his beard is dark quite alot.

Does anyone have any ideas of how i can get him to eat his locusts again?

Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what med. was used + how long ? Did he fight it when you gave it to him ? He's probably just stressed from the ordeal and/or his tummy is not feeling too great. Just give it some time, in the meanwhile you can offer non dairy soy yogurt as a pro biotic. Be sure he's hydrated too.

ccousins

Original Poster
My vet called the parasite Coxie. I tried googling it, but couldnt find anything so i assume its an abbreviation. The medicine was Sulfatrim.

He was treated for a week, than had a week without treatment where his appetite was coming back. Tested his poop again and there was still remaining parasite, so we had another week of treatment.

He's hiding in darker areas of his tank and curling up like hes trying to sleep. Has me a bit worried.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That would be coccidia. The sulfa drugs are harsh and they often wipe out the appetite. If you ever have to deal with coccidia again go to a vet that will prescribe toltrazuril [ ponazuril ] It usually works in 2-3 doses at the most. Try the soy yogurt for now and a little bit of squash baby food. He should get his appetite back after a while. Keep him hydrated because the sulfa drugs are hard on the kidneys.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The sulfa drugs are pretty tough on their system. He could definitely be upset from them. Definitely try to get some probiotics in him and some hydration if you can.

It was most likely coccidia that was found. But there are better treatments for coccidia imo.

Edit: D'oh AHBD beat me to it

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Manuka honey wont really have the probiotic benefit that the soy yogurt or other non dairy probiotics would have. The goal is to restore the good gut flora to hopefully help his tummy start to feel better again.

Baths will only be good for hydration if he drinks in them, if he doesnt drink in the bath, you'll want to try dripping water on his nose to get him to drink. Or spray his salads down well.

-Brandon

ccousins

Original Poster
Gave him some soy yoghurt there now. Will wait and see if he improves much tomorrow. Sleep time for him now.

How often should i give him it?

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom