new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverbullet

hey guys I just bought a new tank for my little buddy. I went from a 20 gallon tank to a 40gallon tank, would I need to upgrade my bulb wattage for the new tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using now for a UVB and wattage of basking bulb? Tell us what you have for taking temps and substrate
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it comes down to surface temps as far as the basking light goes. If your surface temps are the same (roughly 100-105 basking and 75-85 cool side) then the basking light is OK. Changing distance and wattage will affect this.

You will also likely need a new UVB light since the distance from the bulb to the basking area has changed. If you can provide us details about the current setup we will be glad to help advise on what needs to be upgraded.

Silverbullet

Original Poster
right now I have a 100 watt basking light in the tank and the temp is sitting around 85 degrees and im not sure what the UVB light wattage is and, I have the top of the tank covered to maintain heat,any advise would be appreciated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Look on the UVB-- is it a tube or a coil? If it's a coil get rid of it--- they are no good for larger tanks-- the 40 gallon is glass? How are you taking the basking temp? Stick ons are inaccurate--!
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can provide photos of the UVB light and perhaps any stamps or identifying marks on it, that would help us determine what you have in place so far and we can advise from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom