Why is my beardie glass surfing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knightshade

Original Poster
Also thank you so much for the help, I'm glad I got the problem figured out - now I have added to my "knowledge bank" and Amber can have a better set up for her <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
50 is too cold --- you need to go to the petstore and get a basking bulb --- I would get a 100 watt bright white basking bulb - shes not gonna eat w/ out those proper temps or that UVB ---- its not like your not gonna use the one that is coming you will have a back up on hand - it is good to have one on hand cuz you never know when they are gonna blow ---you want her basking temp to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe - you can get those there too for $5 ---
Karrie

Knightshade

Original Poster
107451-978137064.jpg

I re-did her enclosure and made a platform at her basking spot so she can bask closer to the UVB/heat. I'm getting another UVB light and putting it at the end of the enclosure so she has UVB at both sides.

Her temps are now ~95° and ~78°
She looks better today than she did yesterday/last night, I warmed her up and shone a UVB light on her back first thing in the morning for 15 minutes and she seemed perkier (she probably was just waking up though). Either way she's doing better and I'm glad :)

Knightshade

Original Poster
Oh also in her cardboard box hide she has a human-grade heating pad set on low underneath a few blankets, hoping she sleeps there tonight :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is this? UVB/heat--- UVB's put out no heat------------ the only thing she needs is a good basking bulb --- she needs it to be 105-110 for her shes a baby --- next one good UVB - they are to help the body absorb the calcium she eats plus the UVB prevents MBD--- are you still using the coil bulb ? When the new UVB comes get rid of it --- that T 5 will be plenty and that coil is gonna cause issues down the road!!!!!!!!!!! The heating pad under her hide is not good - the only thing it would be good for is to keep the air warm and w/ it being covered up its probably not doing much of that - please take it out-- what are your temps in the tank at nite ? If they are above 65 you do not need extra heat at nite - dragons like it cooler to sleep at nite as it slows their metabolism down so they get a better sleep also they like it dark -- is Amber eating?
Karrie

Knightshade

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3bbamg98 said:
What is this? UVB/heat--- UVB's put out no heat------------ the only thing she needs is a good basking bulb --- she needs it to be 105-110 for her shes a baby --- next one good UVB - they are to help the body absorb the calcium she eats plus the UVB prevents MBD--- are you still using the coil bulb ? When the new UVB comes get rid of it --- that T 5 will be plenty and that coil is gonna cause issues down the road!!!!!!!!!!! The heating pad under her hide is not good - the only thing it would be good for is to keep the air warm and w/ it being covered up its probably not doing much of that - please take it out-- what are your temps in the tank at nite ? If they are above 65 you do not need extra heat at nite - dragons like it cooler to sleep at nite as it slows their metabolism down so they get a better sleep also they like it dark -- is Amber eating?
Karrie

Two separate lights, heat lamp and the UVB (coil). Only reason I still have the coil bulb is because the tube has not come yet. I heard the coils can cause eye damage/other issues, so I will definiently get rid of it when the tube comes.

Not sure about the temps, I just set this up this morning. The old set up was around 65 at night but that was with heating

Just curious, why is the heating pad not good? Is it because they prefer to sleep in cool enviroments?

Knightshade

Original Poster
Oops, yes she ate today. A few bites of flukers pellets that I saw, but Im pretty sure she ate some more while I was gone

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please ditch the pellets as well that is not a good diet -- here is a website for nutrition - she needs this every morning - I can give you tips on how to get her to start eating the salads/veggies
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html its good shes still eating -
the heating pad is no good because dragons heat from their backs and if that pad malfunctions shes gonna get burned - heat rocks heat pads etc are not good for dragons - the ONLY time a heat pad would be good for is if your dragon was sick and you needed that extra heat in the hide like your doing but for the most part if you do need extra heat in the tank get this a Ceramic Heat Emitter- they produce NO light only heat and go in a dome on top of the screen and they come in 75 100 150 watt bulbs -you can order the bulb on line for like $13 - the dome is around $20 I think - but you need a digital probe thermometer to get temps in that tank -- 2 of them please get them --- analog are ok for ambient temps but you need the digital probe for basking temps --- it is crucial to the health of your dragon -- salads need to be fed first thing in the morning - fresh-- like collard greens turnip greens kale mustard greens way better than pellets- she needs a staple feeder like crickets or dubia roaches --I recommend dubia roaches they are easier to keep they dont stink they dont chirp and they last longer - all you need is a 10 gallon aquarium / tote feed the dubia food or the salad materiel you feed your dragon along w/ carrots for hydration --- to get her to that glass bowl that bugs / worms cant get out of add these to the top of her salads - BSFL - you can get them from here they are another staple feeder and you do not need to dust them w/ calcium D3 - she should also be getting vitamins 2 x per week w/ the calcium 5 x per week - you need to dust the insects www.symtonbsf.com - order large and feed as many as you want - you can also use small - medium super worms 1-3 only you dont want her addicted to the worms - you can use butter worms as well - you can order all these things from http://www.dubiaroaches.com - these people are good and fast -- make sure you order the insects no bigger than the size between her eyes - feed her as many insects as she will eat in a 10 minute time frame---- but let her eat from the salad bowl for like an hour then take some of the veggies out but leave some in so shes still getting the veggies when you put the roaches in the bowl- you can use crickets but you would need to disable them like take leg off so they can jump - -- roaches work better -- please ask if you have any more questions
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need calcium D3 and a vitamin like reptivite etc-- she needs her bugs dusted 5 x per week w/the vitamins 2 x per week
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How is she getting water? When serving the vegies wash them before so she gets hydration from them - roaches and crickets need to be fed at nite so when you feed the next day they are hydrated-- roaches love squash - also you can try feeding those pellets to the roaches they may eat them -- but you need to keep her hydrated-- good healthy poops are moist dark and formed- urate- is moist formed and white
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom