Egg Laying

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Hello all,

My baby girl Pancake is pregnant. I was only able to start seeing eggs on Sunday, and wasn't able to feel them until yesterday on Monday.

Yesterday she seemed pretty crazy. At first I thought glass surfing but since I could actually feel eggs now I went out and got all the stuff for a lay box and set that up with her cave.

Once everything was ready and I put her in there, she started digging in a couple different spots for maybe 5 minutes in total. Then decided to bask and go to sleep.

Today she doesn't want to dig and has been glass surfing a lot, both in and out of her dig box. Eventually I took her out and gave her a bath since she wouldn't calm down. She drank a lot of water, and was sort of trying to dig or swim in the sink, I couldn't tell which.

Now she stopped glass surfing and is just basking. How long does it usually take to lay eggs from this point? Anything crazy I might expect?

Thank you

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post a picture of your lay box? Sometimes if they aren't happy with it, they wont lay in hopes of "finding a better spot"

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is the substrate?
How deep is it? I'd add some moist playsand to that. Will help it hold its shape so she cab dig her own cave in it.

-Brandon

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I added 50 pounds of play sand, and almost an entire bag of plain topsoil that I sifted through to break chunks and remove wood chips and such. Also poured in warm water to keep the sand warmer longer.

She is 16 1/2 inches. Does she need a bigger tub?

Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, make it deeper + be sure it's damp. Pile up a lot of it on one side and get a shoebox or a similar sized box. Take the cave out, cut one end from the shoe box and put it upside down over the piled sand to act as a larger cave. Start a hole in the " cave " by hand + most dragons will use that spot. They like to have a lot of area to dig a deep cave.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here are my pictures of Pancake from today.
107227-5471817716.jpg
107227-7960158186.jpg

She has been acting like she wants to lay for 2 days but doesn't like the lay box I made. Had smaller poops and wont eat, also she is pretty grumpy but still gives me licks and cuddles when I put her on my chest.

I moved the sand to a longer bin that's a bit taller and still no go. I'll be getting more sand but I'm starting to get anxiety.

How long until I need to worry?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks good. :) Usually if they are in trouble they will become extremely lethargic. Other than that you just have to wait.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is her box now.
107227-2384647057.jpg

I added another 50 pounds of sand but she still doesn't seem interested. Do I just keep putting her back in the box when she tries to get out?

I'm sort of nervous but idk what else to do

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just be patient. The real bright light sometimes bothers them too so if you had a CHE instead that would be good. Put her in there twice a day for a couple of hours.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No she still won't lay them :/ I even moved the sand mixture into her cage per my vets reccomendation, and still nothing.

I have an appointment on the 9th to take her in to the vet, which is exactly 2 weeks from when I was able to start feeling her eggs.

I can't go any sooner and felt like 2 weeks was a good waiting period cause if they don't have to induce labor is rather they didn't, but it seems I might be going that route.

Gosh, im sorry shes having so much trouble. My Annabelle is shy when shes laying eggs,. If she sees us watching her, she stops until we go away. We do have a 4 by 4 piece of wood in her tank, with her lay soil packed in there, that way we, and she, are not be stressed about getting her into a separate enclosure to lay. Her tank is 50 gallons and the separation between lay area and rest of habitat is just less than half the enclosure.
Keep us posted about pancake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom