Dehydration ? Mouth rot ? Yellow fungus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad to help , best wishes to nugget for a good recovery ! You can apply the honey several times a day . Please update whenever you can after the vet visit.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The appointment went pretty well today ! Diagnosis is mouth rot, she said the inside of his mouth looks great & the colouring may just be his morph or possibly jaundice due to the infection, but she’ll reassess that after a 2 week course of the antibiotic Baytril. She advised me to give it twice a day - she said ideally just squirt it in his mouth if he will open up easily, and if not she said I can inject a worm and feed it to him. She gave him one shot in his shoulder before we left & he’s perked up quite a bit already. Hopefully a quick recovery ! Doc seemed to think we caught it pretty early ?

She said to hold off on the honey for now so that I can keep a good eye on the sore and assess if the antibiotic is working

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes she seemed very knowledgeable! And actually half the price of the other one that I was warned about which was an added bonus. I have another appointment with her on March 12th to reassess and she’ll do blood work at that time if necessary

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that you saved a ton of money and that you can give the meds. orally rather than injection [ unless you have to do the old trick and inject it in to the worms] I would still recommend using the honey. Think of someone that has a burn or a wound of some type like road rash/skin irritation being treated with antibiotics. You would still use an ointment [ which the honey is ] can keep the area moist + more comfortable rather than dry + irritated. Since raw honey is a natural antimicrobial it kills bacteria that come in contact with the wound. This would be beneficial for her.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks ! I put some more honey on him in the bath last night and the dried up sore on his lip fell right off ! It looks much better but the antibiotic is definitely making him feel pretty crummy

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good, honey can be like a wonder ointment. Apply it a couple times a day and that may do more than the antibiotix.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If his mouth keeps showing signs of improvement do you advise discontinuing the antibiotic ? I know with humans if you don’t finish the full course of antibiotic the infection will come back. I’m wondering if it is the same with reptiles? Just because the antibiotic seems to really upset his belly he won’t even eat a hornworm since starting it and he still has 12 more days of twice a day treatments ☹️

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm not sure on this. Most cases I've seen of mouthrot had involved the inside of the mouth as well, causing pus pockets to form. I don't think Nugget's is that bad so it's not as advanced. I'm not 100 % sure it's mouth rot or just the start of some trauma . Probably best to keep up the antibiotix, in the mean time try some soy yogurt or Benebac to settle Nugget's tummy. Poor little dude, I know that as humans we can get a different a.b when certain ones make us sick but an animal doesn't have many choices.

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Halfway through his antibiotic treatment and Nugget is looking great ! After a bit of almond based yogurt the last two days he finally ate today ! 1 hornworm and 7 crickets. That’s the first think he’s eaten since starting Baytril 7 days ago. Still not touching his greens , but he’s taking water daily ❤️

107445-3250119602.jpg

107445-6669737822.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Excellent ! Seems like it's going to hopefully be resolved. ! :) Have you still been using the honey as well ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom