Sides feel like there are bones sticking out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mflav

Hello my 9 month old bearded dragon has these hard bony things on his sides down very low in his abdomen near his hind legs. If I move it it almost disappears. he has them on both sides but the left side is more prominent. I do not think it’s his rib cage because it’s down pretty low. It does not seem to bother him when I touch it. He is not impacted as his bowel movements have been regular. He is not under weight. Just weighed him this morning almost 384g 17 inches long. He’s grown almost 30 more grams in three weeks. He has slowed down a little on eating his salads yet he was never a big fan anyway(loves his insects). Just wonder if this normal anatomy ? Maybe they have always been there and I have just never noticed them and they grew along with him. It does feel like a rib I just feel it’s too low. Here is a picture you can kind of see it sticking out on the left side.
106350-9895307179.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you look at an x-ray of a dragon you'll see that their rib cage does go pretty far down, protecting all of their organs along the back and sides. They are also quite flexible so they can stretch and pancake to increase surface area for basking. You could have an x-ray taken to double check, but if movement isn't impaired and he's still eating well and active, I don't think it is cause for immediate concern. If he keeps sticking out only the bottom end of his rib cage like that it might be worth mentioning to the vet at your next checkup so they can feel around for any abnormalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom