Why is my beardie glass surfing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've had my Amber for about 2 weeks now, and she's around 4 months old. Her enclosure is around 2ft x 5ft and she has branches and two hides. I've seen her glass surfing, mostly in the corner (where she also likes to sleep, I read this was normal though), and I put her repti-hammock in the corner in case she wanted to climb, but when she did climb she just glass surfed at the top. She has a heat lamp and a UVB bulb. When I take her out of her enclosure when she's glass surfing she's more calm - is she just bored? What can I do to stop this, if I should?

Edit: She has a water and food bowl in her enclosure and it's never empty. In the food bowl is flukers pellets and dandelion greens

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of the tank and lighting- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? Please get rid of the pellets and start feeding fresh greens-- collards turnips mustard kale etc
Karrie

Knightshade

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20wef3pq said:
Please post pics of the tank and lighting- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? Please get rid of the pellets and start feeding fresh greens-- collards turnips mustard kale etc
Karrie

Sorry about that. Can't post pictures right now but I will, probably.

Warm side is around 80, cool side is around 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
80 is not hot enough for basking --- cool side during the day should be 80 not 65 - 65 is good for nite time temp -- how are you taking these temps? Stick ons are totally inaccurate - you need a digital probe therm or and infrared heat gun - please post the pics when you get home today
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic and it should post
Karrie

Knightshade

Original Poster
KarrieRee":310k2j4m said:
80 is not hot enough for basking --- cool side during the day should be 80 not 65 - 65 is good for nite time temp -- how are you taking these temps? Stick ons are totally inaccurate - you need a digital probe therm or and infrared heat gun - please post the pics when you get home today
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic and it should post
Karrie

107451-4008649699.jpg

I moved the lights so it would heat it better (hopefully, if not I'll have to buy another che or something).
On the left is a room heater, uvb bulb, and basking lamp, and then on the right is a ceramic heat emitter

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the UVB? Is it a all in one? If so what is the brand and bulb wattage? How are you getting temps?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the size of your tank is? The next thing you need to get rid of that coil bulb--- they are no good-- so that is the only light you have in that tank? You need to get rid of the coil and get w Reptisun 10.0 bulb either a T 5 or a T 8 w/ a fixture that has a reflector!!!-- how tall is your tank? Next you need to get a bright white basking bulb - the analog thermometers do they have probes? If not you need probes--- the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THAT TANK ARE BASKING TEMPS AND A GOOD UVB - or you will have a sick dragon or a dead one-- we can help getting this set up- as of this moment your dragon cannot digest his food or absorb calcium to prevent mbd-- these things are a must and you need it asap
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That bulb is fine but you must be able to get a actual temp where he would sit for a basking temp --- tank size please?
Karrie

Knightshade

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ch5rwwpq said:
Ok the size of your tank is? The next thing you need to get rid of that coil bulb--- they are no good-- so that is the only light you have in that tank? You need to get rid of the coil and get w Reptisun 10.0 bulb either a T 5 or a T 8 w/ a fixture that has a reflector!!!-- how tall is your tank? Next you need to get a bright white basking bulb - the analog thermometers do they have probes? If not you need probes--- the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THAT TANK ARE BASKING TEMPS AND A GOOD UVB - or you will have a sick dragon or a dead one-- we can help getting this set up- as of this moment your dragon cannot digest his food or absorb calcium to prevent mbd-- these things are a must and you need it asap
Karrie

Aa thank you,
Would this
https://www.chewy.com/zilla-t8-reptile-strip-desert-light/dp/206050
along the cool side and this
https://www.chewy.com/flukers-sun-spot-bulb-100-watt/dp/129169
as the basking spot work?
Also is there anything I should be doing differently while I wait? I'll switch out the UVB with a fixture that has at least some sort of reflector - other than that I'm not sure

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you get a zilla 24" you need that size for a T 5- get the Reptisun 10.0 - T 5 you can put that on top of your screen approx 8-10 inches from basking decor-- it is one of the best bulbs on the market--- the 100 watt bulb is trial and error- you need a probe to get actual basking temps- if there is a cover on the fixture take it off and leave it off-- for best effect of the UVB rays-- If you get a T 8 it would need to go inside the tank those bulbs are not strong enough to go thru the screen--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you are in a warm area you can take Amber out in a plastic tote no glass- let her sit in direct sunlight for 15 minutes---- that will equal out to around 4 hrs of UVB
Karrie

Knightshade

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ht3hpabf said:
If you are in a warm area you can take Amber out in a plastic tote no glass- let her sit in direct sunlight for 15 minutes---- that will equal out to around 4 hrs of UVB
Karrie

I'll get the T5 and put it on the lid, Ill make a half platform for her to be closer to the bulb too if she wants.

I live in Washington - so around 3pm its was 50 Fahrenheit today. I could open my patio door and shine a heat lamp on her while she's on my lap in the doorway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom