Freezing Salad Toppers? - About to have a Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzypmcc

Hi All!
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for prepping salad ingredients ahead of time for a beardie? I know greens don't freeze well so those I will continue to buy fresh, but has anyone had any success for freezing other salad ingredients in single serve forms?

I am pregnant and due in about a month and know my time for meal prepping will be limited. I currently have a dog who requires a special homemade diet so I spend a lot of time meal prepping for him and my beardie every week. I won't have someone to help me to prep George's salad daily/weekly like I currently do and am hoping to be able to prep a month or two's worth of salad ingredients to be thawed and added to the fresh greens.

Any suggestions? Will also love suggestions for most loved ingredients by your beardie - I'm still trying to figure out what my beardie prefers. He was a rescue and was not well cared for before coming to live with me.

Thanks in advanced all!!

Beth

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
To tell the truth, I haven't found much beyond greens that he'll eat (except thin slices of grape and melon) so his daily salad usually consists of one staple green (chart) topped/mixed with one herb (basil, oregano, mint, sage, cilantro). Sometimes just a couple of the herbs.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Wish I had some words of wisdom, you have your hands full.
Petey LOVES Turnip greens and summer squashes, yellow and zucchini. He'll eat the other greens, with exception of dandelion and mint but prefers Turnip greens. Anything else, shredded carrot or sweet potato, green beans, bell peppers and fruits, he might take a bite or 2. Recently I put some bits of pineapple on his salad and he refused to eat the salad! Even though it had his faves in it. Petey is grown at 2.5 yrs +/-. I've yet to find any fruit he likes, but he did eat 3 out of 6 pieces of red grape, which would be half a grape cut in 6 pieces.
I did freeze some diced red bell pepper because he only eats a couple bites, let it thaw and add to salad. It's worth a try to freeze some squash and such and see if he'll eat it before the baby comes so you know what to expect. My greens looked bad 1 day so I gave him a plate with little piles of diced squash, green bean and bell pepper. He ate all the squash and didn't touch the other 2. Some things will get eaten 'accidently' when in a salad. ?
Best of luck and congrats on the new baby coming!?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":ew1mpbzk said:
I thought she said she had her belly full... :laughhard: Nevermind--I'm a horse's patoot--always have been.

You got turnip greens? :shock: Our market didn't have any, so I had to settle for mustard greens, and I KNOW I'm going to have to chuck 98% of them. :puke: I gotta find a better market...

The pineapple... somehow doesn't surprise me. I mean, it's been known to ruin a perfectly good pizza. :laughhard:

It's a strange day... :?

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":3k151z48 said:
DragonPete":3k151z48 said:
I thought she said she had her belly full... :laughhard: Nevermind--I'm a horse's patoot--always have been.

You got turnip greens? :shock: Our market didn't have any, so I had to settle for mustard greens, and I KNOW I'm going to have to chuck 98% of them. :puke: I gotta find a better market...

The pineapple... somehow doesn't surprise me. I mean, it's been known to ruin a perfectly good pizza. :laughhard:

It's a strange day... :?
Shoot! First time in a couple months store had turnip. He's been eating collard or mustard which is ok but he likes turnip best.
Come on now! I actually like ham and pineapple pizza! But I like ANY pizza! ?
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I've read some people use stage one baby food pouches to add variety. Squash or other vegetables. As if the puree food was a salad dressing for fresh greens.

Personally I've added some thawed frozen organic fruit as a topper.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
MrSpectrum":1cbsi1yv said:
DragonPete":1cbsi1yv said:

Pineapple pizza is amazing! Swedish people put kiwi on their pizzas, which is the true pizza abomination.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
We’ve had a lot of luck freezing squash. Usually we buy the squash chunks in the clamshell containers and toss them in the freezer. I take them out the night before I need to remake his week-worth of salad that lives in tupperware in the fridge. They’re soft enough to grate at that point, which I like way more than chopping.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom