Bronx Zoo Beardies and a New Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I had a pair of beardie spottings at the Bronx Zoo today... one was hanging out in front of the Komodo Dragon exhibit in a display that was supposed to house rock monitor lizards; he was a cheerful looking fellow, and appeared alert and quite pleased with his spacious digs, but I couldn't think for the life of me what he was doing in there, other than the fact that the rock monitors sharing the space were also Australian species - and no signage identified him as a beardie, either.

The other beardie was in the reptile house, in a display I personally felt was a bit too cramped to house both a beardie and a frilled lizard. This second beardie's coloration was darker than the first, closer to what I've seen in nature clips of wild beardies, and he didn't seem quite as cheerful as his compatriot... kinda hunkered down amid the tank foliage. My heart kinda ached for him - I wanted to get him under a good basking lamp on a branch or something, and in a tank of his own.

Oh, and on a completely separate note, I've learned a new dragon word (though it applies to the winged and fire breathing sorts of dragons): fewmets. According to author Madeline L'Engle in her book A Wind in the Door, fewmets are dragon droppings. So I will now consider this appropriate terminology for dragon poo, each time I need to clean up Figment's fewmets.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ComicBookMama":6lotux71 said:
Oh, and on a completely separate note, I've learned a new dragon word (though it applies to the winged and fire breathing sorts of dragons): fewmets. According to author Madeline L'Engle in her book A Wind in the Door, fewmets are dragon droppings. So I will now consider this appropriate terminology for dragon poo
Well then Tombo has lotsmets :laughing6:

Or bigmets? LOL

Interesting that they had a bearded dragon in the Komodo Dragon Exhibit.... I would've probably asked about that one especially if it wasn't labeled or anything.

But did you really go and not take any pictures to share with us?! :protest:

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
ComicBookMama":398uvopm said:
Oh, and on a completely separate note, I've learned a new dragon word (though it applies to the winged and fire breathing sorts of dragons): fewmets. According to author Madeline L'Engle in her book A Wind in the Door, fewmets are dragon droppings. So I will now consider this appropriate terminology for dragon poo, each time I need to clean up Figment's fewmets.
Sorry to disappoint, but it applies to any kind of animal droppings. Alt. fumets
It's an old (archaic) English hunting term. :wink:

But by all means, consider it appropriate! :laughing6:

fewmets

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2ag9igbo said:
ComicBookMama":2ag9igbo said:
Sorry to disappoint, but it applies to any kind of animal droppings. Alt. fumets
It's an old (archaic) English hunting term. :wink:

But by all means, consider it appropriate! :laughing6:

fewmets

LOL - I should have know you'd go right to the heart of the matter! You're right, of course... but I prefer L'Engle's definition for sheer whimsy. :wink:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wonder if they were a rescue or last minute intake for some reason and were put into exhibits without full planning. Were there any empty exhibits that they may have been in but needed cleaning or maintenance? Perhaps they were moved temporarily. Omaha zoo has a beardie exhibit but it is large (at least 4' tall) with signs set up specifically for them.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2z8ljuig said:
I wonder if they were a rescue or last minute intake for some reason and were put into exhibits without full planning. Were there any empty exhibits that they may have been in but needed cleaning or maintenance? Perhaps they were moved temporarily. Omaha zoo has a beardie exhibit but it is large (at least 4' tall) with signs set up specifically for them.

I didn't see any exhibits under renovation- but we also didn't hit the Children's Zoo, where I think there was a Beardie on exhibit last time. The display I didn't care for much - the one in the reptile house with the Beardie and frilled dragon in together - was a permanent exhibit with signage. It was tall, but did not have much in the way of climbing branches provided, and looked maybe 36" deep and 24" wide (just my guesstimate). I'm really contemplating writing a politely worded letter to the keeper in charge of herpetology if the exhibit isn't better next time I go.

The Beardie in the rock monitor exhibit - probably there temporarily, because of lack of signage - was definitely a happier looking lizard!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's probably worth a note or stopping by to speak with one of the keepers and ask about why they are set up that way. There may be a good reason for it (or not). Either way, zoo keepers will likely have the best interest of an animal in mind and want to improve whatever they can.

Jryantist

Hi! I'm new here :) but I also saw the random beardie in the rock monitor display at the Bronx zoo a couple months ago. He seemed a bit perturbed, head bobbing at the monitors, but then went back to his perch. I was surprised by the lack of signage so wondered the same, that maybe he was a temporary rescue or something.... since this is from back in feb, maybe not though. I took a pic, but don't know how/ if its possible to post lol. My kids named him Waffles and we spent a while watching him - he was way more animated than our chill girl and I think about him a lot! Hope he is well :)

saraho

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":2ujs8owz said:

Are you from the Omaha area? I don't live in Nebraska any longer, but I grew up in the center of the state and I personally take more pride in the Omaha Zoo than the prestigious Cornhuskers.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
saraho":3f0ys64z said:
Are you from the Omaha area? I don't live in Nebraska any longer, but I grew up in the center of the state and I personally take more pride in the Omaha Zoo than the prestigious Cornhuskers.

I'm originally from western NY but am in Iowa City now. Just a few hours down the road from Omaha. I try to visit that zoo at least once a year. It's one of my favorites in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom