Is Anyone Archiving Growth Charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A dragon absolutely should be measured nose to tail tip. Unless they HAVE a nip then why would you not want to know if your dragon is 17,18 or 24 " long ? Nose to vent is fine but nose to tail tip is best unless there's a significant nip.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Agreed, I've always used nose to tail tip and so has everyone else I've known.

I think it would be interesting to compile a bunch of lists from the web into one giant list. Would be cool to see averages and such.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
After what I've learned from my recent year of dragon keeping, o think I may prefer the snout to vent measuring for growth standard. I didn't measure my girl in that way, so I don't have that days for her. Just some general snout to tail measurements. And every few weeks a weight check.

I'm sure there is a way to create a google spreadsheet where people can input the age, sex, weight, and length of their dragon. Then the link for that spreadsheet could be shared amongst the community here. I haven't made anything like that but I know it's possible

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What would be the benefit of S-L measuring if you were trying to describe it to someone stating the weight of a dragon at , say 600 grams , but not stating the length ? If the dragon was 18" long and 600 grams it would be obese. If it were 23 " or in that area it would be good weight. And keep in mind that some dragons may have longer tails just like people may have longer legs even if they are similar in sized to a person that may have the same length from the top of their head to the bottom of their torso. There would be no way to get an accurate description of their size. So the most accurate way to give a description would be to include the tail, taking in to account if the tail is nipped.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":3km38s0h said:
For those that haven't seen it, beautiful Dragons did a growth charting and comparison a few years ago
Yeah, theirs & Dachiu's are two of those I was referring to in my OP (among many more). Dachiu's has a few more examples, and also breaks them down by sex. As we all know, the larger the sampling/database, the more representative & useful it would be.

I did mine in Excel; I figured if anyone had pursued undertaking this, they'd have done it in Excel or similar spreadsheet.

Now that discussion of measuring to vent or tail tip has come up, if I had it to do over (and/or for any future lizards) I'll probably record both length measurements. From a "for the fun of it" perspective, length to vent isn't going to change as dramatically as overall length to tail tip, and getting a squirmy dragon to sit/stand still for such could be quite challenging (and amusing/entertaining) in itself. :lol:

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
I weighed and measured Mario when we brought him home, before he went into his enclosure, and again a week later when he was out (so my daughter could reach a stinky behind "pride rock.") :D I've got a spreadsheet started that I'll try keep up to date to add to the eventual project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom