Is Anyone Archiving Growth Charts?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Re: Is Anyone Archiving Growth Charts?

Postby AHBD » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:33 am

A dragon absolutely should be measured nose to tail tip. Unless they HAVE a nip then why would you not want to know if your dragon is 17,18 or 24 " long ? Nose to vent is fine but nose to tail tip is best unless there's a significant nip.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Claudiusx » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:48 am

Agreed, I've always used nose to tail tip and so has everyone else I've known.

I think it would be interesting to compile a bunch of lists from the web into one giant list. Would be cool to see averages and such.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby DorgEndo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:54 pm

After what I've learned from my recent year of dragon keeping, o think I may prefer the snout to vent measuring for growth standard. I didn't measure my girl in that way, so I don't have that days for her. Just some general snout to tail measurements. And every few weeks a weight check.

I'm sure there is a way to create a google spreadsheet where people can input the age, sex, weight, and length of their dragon. Then the link for that spreadsheet could be shared amongst the community here. I haven't made anything like that but I know it's possible
Devlyn my beautiful bearded dragon, approx hatch 8/18, mine since 2/19. Kitty Greysie born 3/06. Lttle rescue Charlie the American grey tree frog, found 11/18. Lots of house plants, I like cacti and succulents.
DorgEndo
Juvie Poster

Postby AHBD » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:08 pm

What would be the benefit of S-L measuring if you were trying to describe it to someone stating the weight of a dragon at , say 600 grams , but not stating the length ? If the dragon was 18" long and 600 grams it would be obese. If it were 23 " or in that area it would be good weight. And keep in mind that some dragons may have longer tails just like people may have longer legs even if they are similar in sized to a person that may have the same length from the top of their head to the bottom of their torso. There would be no way to get an accurate description of their size. So the most accurate way to give a description would be to include the tail, taking in to account if the tail is nipped.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby DorgEndo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:07 pm

For those that haven't seen it, beautiful Dragons did a growth charting and comparison a few years ago

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Growth.html
Devlyn my beautiful bearded dragon, approx hatch 8/18, mine since 2/19. Kitty Greysie born 3/06. Lttle rescue Charlie the American grey tree frog, found 11/18. Lots of house plants, I like cacti and succulents.
DorgEndo
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby MrSpectrum » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 am

DorgEndo wrote:For those that haven't seen it, beautiful Dragons did a growth charting and comparison a few years ago

Yeah, theirs & Dachiu's are two of those I was referring to in my OP (among many more). Dachiu's has a few more examples, and also breaks them down by sex. As we all know, the larger the sampling/database, the more representative & useful it would be.

I did mine in Excel; I figured if anyone had pursued undertaking this, they'd have done it in Excel or similar spreadsheet.

Now that discussion of measuring to vent or tail tip has come up, if I had it to do over (and/or for any future lizards) I'll probably record both length measurements. From a "for the fun of it" perspective, length to vent isn't going to change as dramatically as overall length to tail tip, and getting a squirmy dragon to sit/stand still for such could be quite challenging (and amusing/entertaining) in itself. :lol:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 am

Yes , I use Excel for my charts and each of my pet lizards records ( daily updates ).
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Bump--Updated Growth Chart in OP
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby MariosDad » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:59 pm

I weighed and measured Mario when we brought him home, before he went into his enclosure, and again a week later when he was out (so my daughter could reach a stinky behind "pride rock.") :D I've got a spreadsheet started that I'll try keep up to date to add to the eventual project.
Mario's Dad- 3 kids, 1 old dog (in our hearts, RIP Kibo), 2 barn cats, 6 chickens, and a new beardie named Mario!
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Health