Help! Awake from brumation 22 days and still has not eaten

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You dont need him under it - take the temp of the spot where hes sitting when basking
Karrie

Saffron304

Original Poster
The hammock is where the basking spot is and we can’t get a temp on the seagrass. He used to love the hammock but maybe we need to switch it to something different that he can lay on instead.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes I would - I would get a piece of decor thats going to offer a heat gradient --- something like this they are around $20 at petsmart - they have nice decor for dragons -
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971
if you have a petsmart near you - you can go look this is something I have in my two tanks for my dragons and they love those pieces - you can set them different ways in the tank and the dragons utilize them very well
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am impressed, your boy has a great looking home! It is nice & bright in there for him. The
Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube is terrific, I love those lights.
Just a quick question, you are sure that he is male & not female?
I love the hammock, too. Does he lay there a lot? Maybe you could move things around
some so he has a few areas to lay, making sure he isn't too close to the basking bulb & UVB.
If you need to get a fecal done but there isn't a reptile vet close enough, you can simply go to
a regular vet for a fecal just to help determine if he does have worms or parasites. I wouldn't
let them medicate him but at least you would have an idea what could be going on.
You could try giving some bee pollen to help with appetite, also.
Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Saffron304

Original Poster
From what I have read any bearded dragon with femoral pores is a male...if that info is correct...he has them. We are going to move some things around and take the hammock down for now as it really doesn’t have a gradient as Karrie mentioned. Set up is a bit different now than in the pictures. He has a large hammock under the 150 watt instead of the platform. I will try giving him some pollen as you suggested. He has not pooped for 3 weeks and I’m not sure if he will before we take him to the vet. The first time he was there we also did not have a sample and the vet gave him one round of dewormer. He said that if he didn’t have any other symptoms that he didn’t need a second round but if he did to bring him back. This was about a year ago. Unless of course he has them now and we haven’t been able to verify it. I guess they could provide two rounds of dewormer this time? However he hasn’t eaten crickets in about seven months. He stopped liking them. He also stopped eating dubias around the same time. His primary diet before brumation and before he stopped eating were silkworms, phoenix worms with treats of wax worms and butters. He used to enjoy some collard and other greens.
Thank you so much for replying, it means so much to us.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
All dragon have femoral pores, the male's pores are more pronounced. He is old enough to sex accurately using a flashlight

4Ojr3.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I agree that your dragon has a beautiful set up, well done. :) I find it hard to believe that your temps. are accurate with 250 watts of heat in a wood enclosure, are you sure about that ? As for him not eating, just give it time ! Sometimes they wake up but are not quite ready to become active/eating yet for a while and they may even go back to snoozing. I can see that your dragon is actually on the chubby side so he does not need supplemental feedings. Let him get his appetite back when he's ready. He's probably just fine. :) And double check the gender just in case. Aside from the flashlight method here are pics of male/female.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Saffron304

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses.

I will attempt to check the gender tonight. Is there something that females would do that are similar to what’s happening to my bearded dragon? Compared to males? That would help me understand why the gender was important to this case.

As for the accuracy of the temps, I wasn’t sure what you meant by it being a wooden enclosure and having difficulty with accuracy of the temperature. If you could clarify that it would be much appreciated!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh sure, I should have clarified that wood holds in the heat much better than a glass tank so it would seem that 250 watts wold have it very hot in there. And it's always important to know the gender because a female can develop egg follicle or even infertile shelled eggs that could be a health problem if she was not able to lay them. So having that possibility out of the way is a good thing.

Saffron304

Original Poster
Oh OK, got it that makes sense. Do you think we should lower the wattage? It seems like when we tried before he doesn’t get warm enough though.

Even though we have removed the hammock today-he now has a graduated large resin root (California Customs) under the 150W, he is in the middle of the cage. Just checked his temp-is at 97°. Still not staying at the warmer side and basking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom