Feeder insect question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cas51

I'm sure I am not the first to ask this, but I keep hearing that dubia are a better choice to feed a dragon than are crickets. The problem is... I'm incredibly grossed out by the thought of bringing a cockroach into my house... on purpose. Are they enough different than the ubiquitous roach of apartment nightmares to warrant a closer look? Crickets are a bit of a pain, but is there a way to keep dubia contained without them getting loose.....ever?
Thanks for your help.
Charity

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dubia roaches are nothing like the typical house roach. That being said, I don't like the term "better than" Crickets and Dubia roaches both have a place in the diet IMO. They both have pros and cons. The best you can do is provide a varied diet, and not rely on only 1 or 2 bugs.

That also being said, dubia roaches are much easier to keep and care for IMO.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was not a fan of "roaches" either but after getting them right after I got Hiccup I can say I like the roach way better than crickets--- they dont stink they dont chirp and they dont die off as quick as crickets do............... and yes they are easier to keep and are healthier to feed - crickets tend to cause parasites/ worms or so I have been told ---
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
It's easy enough to find comparative nutritional info on crickets vs. dubias
insect feeder nutritional information

I'm providing a link to a search rather than a particular site because:
1. I've found different charts to have different values for the same feeders.
2. Some charts/links include different kinds of information than others.
3. They also include information on other kinds of insect feeders for comparison.
:wink:

Also:
  • As mentioned, dubias don't stink (like crickets, though they can develop an odor if not maintained).
  • Despite adults having wings, they cannot fly.
  • They can't climb slick surfaces like glass or shiny plastic, so they tend to stay in the feeding bowl or their container.
  • They can't reproduce at room temperature (they need temps in the 90s).
  • Escape is nigh impossible without human error.

I have spilled a few on a couple occasions (human error) but DW didn't freak out nearly as much as I thought she might. Her reaction was, "Well, they can't reproduce, right? Either the lizard or the dog will eat them, or they'll die like spiders."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom