Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hey guys,

So Drogon has been a little hyper, so Ill let him out to diffuse his energy. From what I’ve read, dragons like to climb which is why they surf the walls. However, when Drogon is running around, sometimes he just runs right into a wall!

Is something wrong or do they have a blind spot when looking forward?

Selkie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I believe they have poor depth perception as a result of having eyes on the sides of their head (monocular vision).

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Aaradimian":24pq2nxn said:
I believe they have poor depth perception as a result of having eyes on the sides of their head (monocular vision).

I hope thats the problem! Poor baby looks so stunned when he bumps a wall :)

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
MrSpectrum":27w4lp4w said:
What color is the wall? IME, their eyesight is pretty good, especially when it comes to motion.
Stationary objects that may look like open space... :dontknow:
bearded dragon eyesight
bearded dragon vision

It’s a white wall. Maybe hes just confused? I just want to make sure that this isnt a sign something is wrong

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Selkie1993":21zoa6pa said:
It’s a white wall. Maybe hes just confused? I just want to make sure that this isnt a sign something is wrong
That's why I asked about the color. I painted the ceiling & top walls of my enclosure sky-blue. For a while, I was concerned my BD might confuse that with actual sky, until it also occurred to me that--bred in captivity--he'd never seen actual sky. My guy did run into his walls a few times (they're unstained birch) so I think it's likely similar could happen with any expanse of a homogeneous neutral color. IOW, I think you're correct--confusion. :wink:

A sign something is wrong? I don't think so; it's a common question/observation/phenomenon. A better indicator of something wrong (IMO) is stress indicators--stress marks on the underside*; black-bearding or glass-surfing for no other, explicable reason; changes in appetite/defecation, etc.
bearded dragon stress symptoms

*which in some instances don't go away even though there is no (longer any) stress impetus.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Aaradimian":1paspwqp said:
Same thing happens to my dragon. I let her on the ground and she scuttles away to a wall and then rams into it. But not very hard just like a tap. Also this is why you don't want them to jump far because they have poor depth perception, they think it's close when it is not and so they fall.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
MrSpectrum":2mhnhw68 said:
Selkie1993":2mhnhw68 said:
That's why I asked about the color. I painted the ceiling & top walls of my enclosure sky-blue. For a while, I was concerned my BD might confuse that with actual sky, until it also occurred to me that--bred in captivity--he'd never seen actual sky. My guy did run into his walls a few times (they're unstained birch) so I think it's likely similar could happen with any expanse of a homogeneous neutral color. IOW, I think you're correct--confusion. :wink:

A sign something is wrong? I don't think so; it's a common question/observation/phenomenon. A better indicator of something wrong (IMO) is stress indicators--stress marks on the underside*; black-bearding or glass-surfing for no other, explicable reason; changes in appetite/defecation, etc.
bearded dragon stress symptoms

*which in some instances don't go away even though there is no (longer any) stress impetus.

Its funny that you mention that :) After breakfast, I go upstairs to work and Ill come back down half an hour later to check on him and he wants to come out! Scratching at the glass and running around. All his environmental parameters are the same, but he discovered a new hobby: looking out the window ! Lol!

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
BeardedDragonSteve":p5zic7rj said:
Aaradimian":p5zic7rj said:
Same thing happens to my dragon. I let her on the ground and she scuttles away to a wall and then rams into it. But not very hard just like a tap. Also this is why you don't want them to jump far because they have poor depth perception, they think it's close when it is not and so they fall.

Yes, Ive noticed Drogon thinks he has wings -_- Sometimes hes about to suicide leap of furniture and i have to catch him. Although hes learned how to shimmy down the couch, which is really funny to watch xD

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
BeardedDragonSteve":2rpksuwj said:
Same thing happens to my dragon. I let her on the ground and she scuttles away to a wall and then rams into it. But not very hard just like a tap.
Is your dragon from Wakanda? (Thinking the wall is a holographic force field?) :lol:

Also this is why you don't want them to jump far because they have poor depth perception, they think it's close when it is not and so they fall.
Oh, mine doesn't fall--he definitely jumps/leaps--especially if/when there's a bowl of bugz at the bottom. No thought to personal safety--gotta get dem bugz! :lol:

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
MrSpectrum":37xuo2h7 said:
BeardedDragonSteve":37xuo2h7 said:
Same thing happens to my dragon. I let her on the ground and she scuttles away to a wall and then rams into it. But not very hard just like a tap.
Is your dragon from Wakanda? (Thinking the wall is a holographic force field?) :lol:

Also this is why you don't want them to jump far because they have poor depth perception, they think it's close when it is not and so they fall.
Oh, mine doesn't fall--he definitely jumps/leaps--especially if/when there's a bowl of bugz at the bottom. No thought to personal safety--gotta get dem bugz! :lol:

Sometimes I think they just like to jump around! Maybe it's fun for them to risk life and limb and scare their owners to death xD

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Selkie1993":2pqknjp5 said:
Sometimes I think they just like to jump around! Maybe it's fun for them to risk life and limb and scare their owners to death xD
Personally, I think when they want to "stick it" to us, they say it with poop. Do it in the hardest to clean spot in the entire enclosure, run through it and spread the joy... that kind of thing. (I'm kidding, of course. :wink: )

In nature, it would be fight or flight, and due to their size & inadequate defenses, it's usually flight, which often isn't particular about looking before they leap. (Sorry about the cliches, but this is where they come from. :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom